WS #6: Pho Saigon

Last month, we dined at Pho Saigon for the first time. It is located in the same complex as TC Noodle House, which I blogged about a few weeks ago, and MT Supermarket, the Asian supermarket we go to.

Looking at the number of people dining at the time of our visit, I can say that Pho Saigon has quite a following already. It’s not even 7 pm yet! I took this as a sign of good things (good food!) to come. :) I love Vietnamese food, noodles specially! I especially like the little ritual of adding beansprouts, lemon, cilantro, basil and pepper to a very hot bowl of noodle soup. It somehow gives one a (false?) sense of having a hand in the meal. Hee hee!

So here’s what we had…

soybean milk
soybean milk – This is Abby’s beverage of choice when dining at an Asian restaurant. She liked this better than TC’s because it’s green and a tad sweeter, definitely the flavored kind. :D This one has a hint of coconut, too, much like the buko pandan of the Philippines.

vegetarian spring rolls
For appetizers, we had fresh vegetarian spring rolls: bean sprouts,vegetables, tofu-vermicelli and mint wrapped in thin rice paper served with peanut sauce. Whenever we eat at a Vietnamese restaurant, we almost automatically order Vietnamese spring rolls. This was the first time, however, that we dared order the vegetarian kind. After the first bite, we started longing for “the usual kind”. ;) This one proved to be a little too bland for us. You’ll need a good amount of peanut sauce to help you along. :D

fresh veggies...and leaves, too! hee hee! :P
This is our main course, a plate of fresh bean sprouts, lemon, spicy green peppers, cilantro and basil leaves. Kidding. :D Abby loved taking part in adding these fresh veggies and spices to our bowls of noodle soup.

chicken noodle soup with chicken white meat
As always, I had chicken noodle soup with white chicken meat. It was passable, ok at best. What I didn’t appreciate is how the chicken white meat was sliced. They were just too overwhelmingly big! Looking at the chicken slices alone left me feeling full already (which should have been a good thing).

beef noodle soup and more!
Hubby had beef noodle soup with eye round steak, well-done flank, fatty brisket, soft tendon, and white omasum beef tripe. Don’t make me say that again, please! Hahaha! I don’t know what possessed hubby to order this. The words “fatty brisket” should have already served as a warning. Hubby is a certified carnivore. He loves his beef, and he loves his beef’s tendons. Hahaha! But fatty brisket?! He didn’t even dare give a small piece a taste. They were all left swimming in the soup. :D

They say first impressions last, and our first impression for this restaurant seems to boldly say, “never again”. But a teeny weeny part of me wants to give Pho Saigon another chance. Come to think of it, we may actually be the ones at fault here…for ordering the wrong food. Not!!! ;) If and when we do go back, you’ll definitely read about it again.

Have a great week, everyone!

ps: I have another WS entry here.

Comments

10 Responses to “WS #6: Pho Saigon”

1. I love Vietnamese beef noodles and the rice rolls too! It costs 300 pesos for a bowl at my favourite Vietnamese eatery.

Hi ECL! I’m such a big fan of noodles. 300 pesos? Wow! In the Philippines, that should buy a very big bowl of food already! Hahaha! :D

2. Weng, not a fan of viet food… I go for the thai ones.

Hi Keith! Talaga? You’re not a fan of Vietnamese food? I like Thai food, too. We’re still in search of good Thai food here. The first one we tried ever was no good at all. We barely ate the food we were served. :(

Have to go with Keith on this one – Viet food just does not hit the spot for me too… :( The only thing I really like are the Vietnamese fresh spring rolls with shrimp (pretty much like what CPK serves back home).

Hope your next visit will be better. Tell Donds to go easy on the meat – uso sa pamilya namin ang gall stones! ;)

Hi Pinks! Oh I love fresh spring rolls! It’s ok not to like Vietnamese food. Hahaha! I just love to eat. Period. Hahaha! :P

uy pareho tayong nag-vietnamese food nung weekend! :) siyempre sinali ko na rin si myparty sa ws (*wink*) and our visit to pho quyen is my first entry.

for pinky and keith, i appreciate viet food naman mainly because of the hot noodle soups. they’re a great alternative to our native mami, especially when we’re craving for some hot soup during the cold days and we couldn’t find ma mon luk anywhere near, hehe. :) oh well, i love thai food too so can’t fault you there. :D

Hi Meeya! I’m not surprise we both had Vietnamese food last weekend. Hello? Wavelength! Hahaha! ;)

I’ve always been fond of noodle soups and I specially like how noodle soups from different Asian countries differ in taste and presentation. Gusto ko yung “diner participation* sa Vietnamese noodles. Hee hee! Kasi tayo ang maglalagay ng mga dahon! :P

5. Haydee says:

oh boy! i am crazy with Pho soup…drool! glad you can’t see me salivate, haha. Nice pictures, making me hungry…

Hi Haydee! I believe this isn’t the first time I got you hungry. Hee hee! I hope this won’t prevent you from visiting again. :D

6. Carver says:

At least you got some good photographs even if the food wasn’t all too your liking. I enjoyed your write up.

Hi Carver! You’re right about that! Hahaha! :) But we’ll probably give this restaurant another chance. :D We’ll see. Hahaha! :)

7. tigerfish says:

Oh, I miss my pho bo in California!

Hi Tigerfish! Are there no good Vietnamese restaurants where you are right now (Taiwan, right?)? You’re very good in the kitchen, anyway so you can make your own pho! :)

8. I like Vietnamese noodles too. The food looks very appetizing. Thanks for sharing.

I wasn’t able to join WS but if you have time, I’d like to share photos of our visit to Ocean Adventure. Take care.

Hi Rach! Ako naman, I wasn’t able to join Photo Hunt. Hahaha! I’ve read up about your adventure through Bloglines. But I will definitely go to your site to leave a comment. I hafta! Hee hee! :)

9. Argie says:

This is comfort food (unless I crave for lugaw) :) !!!

Hi Argie! Now you’ve got me thinking about and craving for lugaw! And I’m too tired to cook! Hahaha! :)

10. Jen says:

langya ka, Weng. You almost had me with that plate of fresh weed-like stuff. I almost believed that that was your main dish! And then I thought, “Yuck, I wouldn’t pay to eat that! What could they have been thinking???” lol! Ang engot diba. Sana sometimes di masyadong gullible ang lola mo.