Plastic Grocery Bag Origami

Here is where we keep our plastic grocery bags.  We’ve got loads of it!  This little cabinet used to be filled with plastic bags that we can no longer see the back.  We even forgot that we kept phone directories here!  It was just packed!

It was transformed to this when relatives came to visit us last month.

Tito (Uncle) Kit, hubby’s uncle priest, taught us a method of neatly folding the grocery bags, something he learned from the seminary.  And this cabinet looking like this now is his handy work.  He folded most of the plastic bags all by himself with very little help from hubby and me.  Hee hee. :)  Do we follow this method now?  As much as we can.  :)  Or, we simply keep the bags somewhere else.  Hahaha!

Here’s the step by step guide to plastic bag folding:

1.  Lay the plastic bag likeso on a flat surface with the print on top.

2.  Fold it in half.

3.  Fold it in half again.

4.  Pull up the lower left corner of the bag and fold it in an angle likeso…making a triangle.

5.  Work your way up keeping the traingle pattern that you’ve already got going until you reach the bag handles. :)

6.  Tuck the bag handles in the pocket on one side of the triangle.

7.  Tadaaa!

There.  You can do this while watching tv.  Or ask your kids to do it when you ground them or for time-out! ;)  Happy folding! :)

Comments

58 Responses to “Plastic Grocery Bag Origami”

1. Shirley says:

Someone placed a bag of these neatly folded bags in our church nursery….it’s so easy and quick to throw a soiled diaper and wipes into and tie up. I was so amazed that a bag could be folder that small and neatly. I stood and marveled….who in the world has THAT much time to fold all those bags. :-)

However, when I tried it at home, I discovered how very quickly you can fold and press each one.

Thanks for reminding me of it.

Hi Shirley! Isn’t it really easy to do? One can do this while watching tv. ;) Thanks for dropping by! :D

2. Essie says:

I learned this tip from my mother in law, and immediately took it as a blow to my own householding skills that *I* didn’t already fold plastic bags. I do keep them and use them, like so many others, for car cleanups, for small liners, lunches, stuffing balloon-style curtain valances, lining the kitchen scrap/chicken scrap bowls to make toss-away or clean up easy, for particularly offensive personal trash items – I’ve even cut them apart to line shelves in the pantry/collect dust and crumblies. I use them to sort/label the so-sad-too-bad clothes we’ve outgrown that need to go to for donation. And I collect them hardcore when I’m moving. I often actually run out (due to using cloth at the grocery store), but in times of plenty, I haul them off to the school or the recycler at the store.
    One other thing though that no one mentioned. We all seem to talk about the ones from the grocery – but most of the ones I re-use come from K-Mart, Sears, craft stores or other non-grocery types of stores. I never thought, before this post, to carry the cloth bags to those places (sometimes the plastics from them are huge!). Does anyone use cloth bags to clothes/sundry/dollar store/whatever shop, and if so, how do you manage larger items that need to be contained to get home safely?
    Thanks for the thread.

Hi Essie! To avoid accumulating more plastic bags, I request grocery stores – like Target and HEB – to put my stuff in a paper bag if in case I forget to bring my reusable bags. However, Target, the one I go to at least, no longer offers the paper bag option. :(

That’s a good question you posted. I’m sure someone has an answer out there. Let’s wait and see. :D

Thanks for dropping by! :)

3. Lowbudget says:

I absolutely love this idea. I was thinking about putting them all in the recycle bin, but now I can store them neatly and reuse when needed. I only have a few plastic bags. I have been using the recycled cloth bags for groceries. Thanks for this tip!

Hi Lowbudget! Youa re most welcome! You can fold some of the plastic bags and keep them for future use and the others, you can still put in the recycle bins at the different stores. Thanks for dropping by!

4. Scarlet says:

This is a great idea. I work at a grocery store and I’m always looking for something new to help our customers. I’m going to fold one up and have it setting beside me to show off. I’m also going to start folding mine at home. I keep them in a drawer and they cover everything up so I can’t see and they are always trying to get out. Thanks for the tip.

5. G says:

Interesting… both the post and the comments.
    I’ve been doing something similar yet different (!) and not quite as neat. I take the plastic bag by its base, run my other hand along its length (to remove the air, and make it seem thinner and longer) and then tie a loose knot in the centre. This then means that the bag is in a much smaller and neater option, and can be stored in one of those hanging, tubular, plastic-bag tidy. Too tight a knot and it’s difficult to undo, and too loose a know and the whole thing falls apart. It is not as neat and cute as your option (which I will also try out now), but I guess it might be quicker and (for me) more feasible when the kitchen counter surface has all my shopping on it!