WS #28: Tapioca Pearls with Coconut Cream

My daughter has loved tapioca pearls from the very first time she tasted them.  So yesterday, I decided to finally make something out of the tapioca pearls I’ve been keeping in the pantry for several weeks already.

This is the semi-finished product.  It is good enough to be eaten as is.  But adding fruit bits gives it an extra umph.

See what I mean?  Abby preferred the fruitless version.  Hubby, on the other hand, requested I top his with fruits.  Good thing there was one last cup of Del-Monte peaches in the fridge!  I also loved the added flavor diced fruits bring to this dessert.  It’s a refreshing Thai dessert which I will nevertheless not mind having while vacationing in one of those Mykonos villa rentals.

This is very easy to make.  You just have to give an allowance for the chilling time.

Ingredients:

3 cups water

1 1/2 cups sugar

16 oz (1 pack) small tapioca pearls (1 mm in size)

1 1/2 cups whole milk

1 1/2 cups coconut milk

diced fruit of choice (mango, peach, cantaloupe, honeydew, etc.)

Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a medium sized pot.  Turn the heat to low, when the water starts to boil.  Stir in the milk.  When the mixture returns to a boil, turn off the heat.  Stir in the coconut milk.  Let cool at room temperature and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

Soak the tapioca pearls in cold water for 20 minutes.  You’ll notice that the pearls will expand, become sticky and turn bright white.  Drain.  Bring water to a boil in a medium pot than turn off the heat.  Add the drained tapioca pearls and stir continuously for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.  Then drain at once using a fine mesh sieve.  Run cold water through the sieve to stop the tapioca pearls from cooking further. Combine the pearls with the coconut mixture and continue to chill in the fridge.

To serve, ladle the tapioca with coconut into a bowl and top with diced fruits.

oOo

The recipe I used as reference for this calls for 1 cup milk and 2 cups coconut milk.  But since I had only 1 can of coconut milk which was equivalent to 1 1/2 cups, I decided to increase the amount of milk.  The original recipe also calls for on 2/3 cups of tapioca pearls.  However, for us tapioca lovers, you could barely taste and feel the presence  of the tapioca in what was a more than generous amount of coconut cream.  So add or decrease the amount of tapioca pearls you will use according to your preference.

Have a great week ahead!

oOo

Bridalveil Falls is featured in my other Weekend Snapshot entry. :D

Comments

30 Responses to “WS #28: Tapioca Pearls with Coconut Cream”

1. ces says:

yum yum yum nga! never done this before…and so i must! haha! i’m sure the kids will like it!:) ginatan nga kumakain:)

cess last blog post..Weekend snapshot: under the weather

2. Wow i guess i will try this. But i don’t know what is tapioca…hheheh Happy WS….

gen/entryheres last blog post..Weekend Snapshot

3. FickleMinded says:

i have to try it one of these days.

FickleMindeds last blog post..WS: Lake Erie

4. Yen says:

I hope I can try this:) I just buy the ready to eat Tapioca’s in the grocery! hehe

Yens last blog post..Today’s Flower

5. architect says:

Yummy!!!!!My entries are Titled Sweet and Pretty and Naughty, respectively. Be sure to visit both entries to see the variation. The sweet & pretty is here while the Naughty entry is here

sweet..pretty..naughty
    Memory Filled
    Sweety tots

6. My hubby and I love eating tapioca and the tapioca pearls are our favourite dessert. :)

eastcoastlifes last blog post..The Deadly Finger Pointing – WW

7. Kero says:

aaaw yummy! Thank you for sharing. we have a long holiday coming up next week so this will be a great snack. Happy Monday too! my WS entry is here http://kcelebration.blogspot.com/search/label/weekend%20snapshot

Keros last blog post..weekend snapshot # 20

8. napaboaniya says:

Can I have some please?!?! It looks refreshing to have with the humid weather I’m stuck in now :P

napaboaniyas last blog post..Weekend SnapShot #42

9. thess says:

Oh la la, sarap naman dessert ni little Abby :) gusto ko din ng sago..lembot lembot :D

thesss last blog post..One foggy morning…

10. Incredible dessert! I’m going to have to have my wife visit your site, she’s the chef.
    Thank you for sharing this.

11. Dora says:

A refreshing dessert – ideal for hot weather in SG.

Doras last blog post..Soon Kueh

12. Carver says:

That looks delicious.

Carvers last blog post..Photohunt: View

Hmmm…yummy-nam-nam! :) Reminds me of the dessert in the Mongolian Barbecue resto in Mile Long in Manila – but I’m sure yours is more delicious! Save some for us, ok? ;)

Pinkys last blog post..LP #26: Itim at Puti

14. tigerfish says:

Nice dessert. :) Can I have some?

tigerfishs last blog post..Scallion Ginger Beef, Omelet, Vegetable and RICEeee!

15. my goodness another yummy entry :) alam mo ba tumataba na ako sa plurk at entries mo lol!

something purples last blog post..my greatest critique

16. julie says:

Type!

Mango would be a nice topping but you used it for Ma’am’s smoothie :D

17. TRICOTINE says:

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I love Tapioca! :-)
    Happy WS!

18. Jeanne says:

yummy…that seem delicious

19. tin says:

it really looks yummy! pahingi! :)

tins last blog post..Let Everything That Has Breath

20. sha says:

have not eaten tapioca for ages…got a reason to check the Filipino shop later on

shas last blog post..blueberry muffins

21. ces says:

fyi, i’m making this right now!:)water sugar and milk about to boil!hehe..then ‘m making ginataang mais na rin since i divided your recipe into a third lang so sayang ang coconut milk:)

cess last blog post..Lasang Pinoy, Sundays Week#20: goodie! Halloween goodies!

22. […] has rice or sticky rice in particular and requested for something like this. recipe is courtesy of cafemunchkin, thanks wengski!:) as suggested by her, i added a touch of freshness and sweetness to it with some […]

23. […] WS #28: Tapioca Pearls with Coconut Cream (1,382 Views) […]

24. […] Kalabasa sa Gata (Squash in Coconut Milk), Chicken Curry, Pininyahang Manok (Pineapple Chicken) and Tapioca Pearls with Coconut Cream.  Now, I can add Hipon sa Gata (Shrimp in Coconut Milk) to my […]

25. Veronica says:

I’m not sure what I did wrong, but this did not set. Was it supposed to?

Hi Veronica! It’s not really supposed to set, say, like jelly. :) But, it’s supposed to get thick that it almost looks like it’s going to set., just like in the photos. It’s important to give the tapioca and cream time to cool completely and then refrigerating it for a few hours. :) Needless to say, I bet what you made tasted really good. Am I right? I know I’m right. Hee hee.

Thanks for stopping by!

26. […] It’s the exact same recipe you’ll find here, with the addition of a few drops of food coloring.   I also made Pink Tapioca Pearls with Coconut Cream… […]