Homemade Skinless Longanisa (Filipino-Style Sausage)

My Mom will be very pleased with this entry so I lovingly dedicate it to her.  This is for you, Mommy! :D

You see, my Mom scolded me for buying longanisa (Filipino-style sausage) at the Asian market a couple of weeks ago, which is understandable.  As much as possible, she wants us to stay away from preservatives. Well, we want that, too, but you and I know it’s easier said than done.  Plus, I’ve always loved longanisa!  With fingers crossed behind my back, I promised I won’t buy frozen longanisa ever again. *wink*  Thanks to my blogging friend cum Plurk buddy, Nell, who  swears by the ease of making homemade skinless longanisa, I found a way to keep my promise.

I proudly present to you my very first skinless longanisa links.

Move over Pampanga’s Best!  Kidding. I found forming the ground pork into logs can be a bit time consuming.  But that’s just obsessive-compulsive me talking.  What I found easier to do was to just form them into patties, as inspired by the sausages in the McMuffins of McDonald’s.

Hubby and Abby prefer the logs though.  Hmp!  So I form just enough logs for them and lots of patties for myself. :P

Here’s the recipe, which I got from here.

Ingredients:

• 1 kg ground pork
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon fresh cracked peppercorn
  • 4 teaspoons fine salt (Note: I use sea salt which is less salty than iodized/fine salt. You might want to try using a few teaspoons of salt first and adjust according to your taste.)
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional – I didn’t put any in mine.)
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons knorr seasoning
  1. Mix everything by hand in a large bowl.
  2. Form into thin logs (or patties!) and refrigerate.
  3. Fry in a little hot oil.
  4. Serve with garlic fried rice or hot pandesal buns.
The recipe yields about 20 pcs. depending on the size of your longanisa logs.  Prep time is about 30 minutes, also dependent on how quickly you form your longanisa into your chosen shape.  I have to admit it probably took me longer than 30 minutes.  OC, I tell you! :)  And you know what else?  You can freeze the uncooked longanisa for later consumption!  *wink*

I swear, these taste as good as the ones you can buy from a store!  I can now proudly say that I no longer have to go to the Asian store for my longanisa fix.  Now, tocino (cured pork) is another story. :)

Comments

53 Responses to “Homemade Skinless Longanisa (Filipino-Style Sausage)”

1. lori says:

susubukan ko yan promise :D

Hi Lori! Go, go, go! I betcha CVS will be very pleased…and
    I mean your Hubs, not the drug store. Tee-hee! :)

2. NeLL says:

wohoo! sarap sarap, picture palang eh ulam na ;)

NeLLs last blog post..A Prayer For My President

Hi Nelli! Thank you! I know your recipe is far simpler than
    this one. But if you hadn’t convinced me when we talked on the
    phone last time how easy it is to make longanisa, I’d probably
    still be sneaking the store bought ones into the house. Hahaha!

3. tigerfish says:

Nice. Maybe can use the meatball version on spaghetti ;p

tigerfishs last blog post..Steamed chicken – one chicken, two easy recipes

Hi Tigerfish! For a Filipino-style spaghetti perhaps? :D

4. kerol says:

nagutom ako!!!

Hi Kerol! I like it when people visit my food blog and
    go away hungry. I take it as a compliment. Hee hee. I hope to
    make you hungry again. :D

5. Jen says:

wow weng, these look awesome!

Jens last blog post..Tag train #4

Hi Jen! Thanks! Ooh, you can make these! But they will definitely
    make you crave rice…lots of it! :)

alam mo panay visit ko sa post na to, gusto ko nang ulamin yang longanisa!

abbys last blog post..Lasang Pinoy, Sundays #21: Spicy

Hi Abs! Natawa naman ako sayo! Gawin mo na rin dali! If you
    want your longanisa sweet, you can add a bit more brown sugar.
    I had my fingers crossed when I was making these. Laking tuwa
    ko when they started caramelizing. Diba masarap yung may parang
    sauce ng longanisa ang rice? Hee hee!

7. Twinkie says:

Mahal na mahal ko ang food blogs ninyo ni Ate Pinky. Ang mga recipes ninyo ay talagang reliable at inspiring.

Homemade skinless longanisa, mapapasakamay din kita! Mwahaha!

Hi Twinkie! Super dali nito kaya gawin mo na sa lalong madaling panahon! hahaha! :D

Twinkie Reply:

Hay! Pang-limang gawa ko na ‘to ng longganisa mo Ate Weng! Daan lang ako to check kung may nalimutang ingredient/s. :D
    .-= Twinkie´s last blog ..MK Pinoy Sportsfest =-.

Hi Twinkie! You are proof that this recipe works. Hahaha! That’s all I have to say. :D Thanks! *mwah*

8. Jenny from RAK, UAE says:

Hi munchkinmommy! I was searching for the skinless longganisa recipe and there popped your blog! Katuwa naman at nag-caramelize talaga sya! will definitely try this recipe. Pwede kaya yung minced beef? Walang minced pork dito sa UAE, and my hubby is a Muslim. Thanks for sharing ur recipe!

Hi Jenny! You’re welcome! I had to keep from jumping when I saw the longganisa pieces were caramelizing on the pan. Hahaha! Oo, puwede ka rin gumamit ng beef or chicken kaya maeenjoy ninyo ang homemade longganisa goodness. ;)

Jenny Reply:

Hi again MunchkinMommy! Y’know, I tried doing the skinless longganisa recipe, and it’s really yummy and I would say, a real success! Grabe! Tama yung sabi mo, you’ll feel happy pag nakita mo’ng nagcaramelize na sya! What I noticed nga lang is that I have to make the cook time a bit longer kasi nga beef yung gamit ko, at over “atay-atay” na flame lang, para di masunog yung longganisa. My hubby loved it, specially with the matching vinegar na sawsawan and some sliced tomatoes para pawala umay! :) Really thanks for sharing this recipe and I would definitely recommend this to my mommy friends! :)

Keep it up and Godbless!

Hi Jenny! You don’t know how glad I am that your longganisa was a success. :) To tell you honestly, ninenerbiyos ako pag may sumusubok ng recipes na pinopost ko kasi hindi naman ako expert cook. Hahaha. If visitors of my blog try out a recipe and it turns out to be a success, too, I kind of see it as a proof na hindi ko lang inimagine na successful yung ginawa ko. Hahaha! I know of two other friends who tried this longganisa recipe and they were very happy with the results, too. The best talaga ang vinegar na sawsawan pati na rin ang kamatis! Hay, nagutom tuloy ako e 12mn na! :)

You’re welcome, Jenny! And thank you for letting me know how your longganisa adventure went. :) God bless!

9. […] Exactly how I want my longanisa to be.  You can find the recipe here. […]

Thanks for this, cousin! Will try it with ground chicken so I won’t have to go to the Asian store na rin for our longanisa fix, :)

Pinkys last blog post..LaPiS: Silogs

11. Dani says:

Hello! I was just looking for pictures of longanisa to show my boyfriend, who’s never had any, and I came across this recipe. Now that he knows what’s in it, he really wants to try some. I can’t wait to make this recipe! Thank you very much for posting it.

HI Dani! You’re very welcome! I’m happy to share whatever comes out of my kitchen. Hee hee. Good luck with your longgnisa! It’s going to be really really good, I tell you! :) Do let me know how it goes when you find the time. :) Cheers!

12. linda says:

for the knorrs seasoning… what kind of seasoning is it exactly… powder, liquid?!?! if i cant find the knorrs seasoning, what can i subsitute it with?

-linda

Hi Linda! Knorr seasoning is a liquid seasoning, which looks like soy sauce. What I use is actually a different brand, “Golden Moutain Soy Bean Seasoning Sauce”. It looks like this. It’s a product of Thailand and it was a friend who introduced me to it. The Knorr seasoning, on the other hand, comes in these bottles. I searched the internet and found that Knorr also makes powdered seasoning, which comes in canisters. Although I haven’t used it yet. If I may ask, where are you located? I’m sure you will find the liquid seasoning at an Asian store. Good luck! :)

13. mavi s says:

hi there!

thank you for this recipe! it is really cool! i couldn’t believe that i can prepare my own longganisa!! and it tastes exactly like what i usually buy in grocery stores in Manila. yummy!! :)

cheers!

Hi Mavi! Another success story! Thank you for sharing your success with me. You made me really happy. Hee hee! I’m glad you liked the recipe. Don’t buy longganisa anymore. Just make your own. It’s healthier! ;) Cheers!

14. yulmaclin says:

i am a cook by profession and i’ve seen many recipes of longganisa.. i haven’t tried your recipe though pero binabasa ko pa lang ingredients mo aprub na aprub na! filipino cuisine is not really my specialty hehehe kaya i keep on looking sa mga pinoy recipes… salamat po ng marami sa recipe! mabuhay ka!

Hi Yulmaclin! Thank you so much. I’m blushing right now. I get a little self conscious whenever I’m told that a cook or chef reads my entries. :) I got this recipe online and a few of my friends have already tried it and I’m happy to report that so far, they’ve been very pleased with the results.

Maraming salamat sa pagbisita! Mabuhay to you, too! :)

15. jack says:

I followed the recipie, it was very salty and didn’t even come close to the store bought longanisa that I have purchased in the past.

Hi Jack. I’m sorry your longanisa didn’t turn out as expected. This comes as a surprise because every one else seem so happy with how theirs turned out. I, for one, have been using this recipe to a T. To each his own I guess. Good luck on your longanisa recipe search. You’re bound to find one that you’ll like sooner or later.

16. Jeff FD says:

Wow.. thanks for sharing it. I have been looking for recipes which i can buy from a grocery store. Some are using a never-heard ingredients which i don’t know where the heck im going to buy them.. I am going to Malaysia and i know i will be missing longganisa so i really need this recipe.. thanks again

17. arjhen21 says:

i tried to make your longanisa recipe yesterday and it turned out really good.. my husband and mom in law liked it very much, they said that its like the one we bought in store in phil.. tnx for your recipe! i love your site…

Hi Arjhen! That’s great juice! I love it when readers like you have great success with the recipes I post. Why? Because it proves that I didn’t just imagine my own success with the recipes. Haha! Since I learned to make my own longanisa, I never bought frozen longanisa again! ;) Great job! Oh, and thanks for loving my site. Hee hee. *blush* :*

18. heermie says:

susubukan ko ang recipe mo. Meron lang akong tanong. Hindi ba sasabog or kakalat pagpiniprito na ang longganisa. Di na ba kelangan ang breadcrumbs? thanks

HI Heermie! Hindi sasabog o kakalat yung longganisa pag pinirito mo kaya hindi na kailangan ang breadcrumbs. Ang trick ay sa pag-form mo ng longganisa. Gumagamit ako ng plastic wrap kung logs ang gusto ko na form. Tapos sinisiguro kong siksik na siksik yun glongganisa. Pero alam mo, kahit hindi siksik, hindi pa rin magcocollapse ang longganisa mo. ;) Ilang beses ko na rin itong nagawa at hindi pa naman sumabog ang mga longganisa ko. Good luck! :D

19. gei says:

double check ko lang kung talagang 4 tsp of salt o di kaya 1/4tsp… I agree with jack na talagang maalat…..

Hi Gei! I lifted the recipe from HERE. And like I told Jack, I’ve been using this very same recipe. The only change I do make sometimes is to add more garlic. But come to think of it, I use sea salt for my cooking, which isn’t as salty as iodized salt. Perhaps that’s the difference I might have overlooked. Then again, I can’t ignore the good results from the others who have tried the recipe. Just the same, I will edit the entry and mention that I do use sea salt.

Thank you for letting me know how your longanisa turned out. I do feel bad it didn’t turn out as expected.

gei Reply:

IC. I’ll try it again next tym and use sea salt this time…. thanks.

20. gtpopplewell says:

perhaps like any other pinay living out of pinas, I have been craving for longganisa as well and I’m not really keen on getting those from pinoy shops.. expensive & quality not assured! so I googled and found you! THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU so much!!!! and yes, better than pampanga’s best! this will definitely be a regular for my family now :-)

Hi GTPOPPLEWELL! I’m glad you like the recipe! :) Now you’re ready the next time you have that longanisa craving. :D Thanks for dropping by! :D

21. […] recipe I used is exactly the same as the one I previously posted HERE except that I used ground turkey this time.  I will be using ground turkey or chicken to make […]

22. Elvira Ismeir says:

I tried making this but when i cooked it, the inside was too soft.
    How do you make it more solid so it does not break down? I found the inside not cooked well as I would want it. The taste is good,but I could not make it really together.
    Please advise me what I need to do.
    Thanks

Hi Elvira! Whenever I form longanisa into logs, I use plastic wrap and a chopstick to help me along. Lay a square piece of plastic wrap on your counter or chopping board and place enough of the ground meat mixture in the middle. Fold the plastic wrap over the mixture such that the ends of the plastic wrap meets. And then, using the chopstick, I squeeze/ push the meat tightly against the (folded portion) of the plastic wrap. It will form a log. You can stop pushing with the chopstick when you’ve reached the desired log length. The logs have a tendency to shrink during cooking but they should not fall apart. :) I hope my technique helps! Thanks for dropping by! :)

23. edith lobo says:

i ask kung pede langonisang tagalog nmn ang ipost mo pede pero dont worry i try dis one also

24. Asp says:

Hi Munchkinmommy! I have tried your recipe twice with a little tweak to suit the family preference for sweeter longanisa and it had turned out sooooo nice! Thanks for sharing this recipe… Now we have one less food from the philippines to crave for :)

25. fathy says:

thanks to google i found your blog… try ko to mamaya matagal ko na gustong matutong gumawa ng longganisa pero pag nag sesearch ako yung mga nakikita ko yung ibang ingredients di ko malaman kung san bibilhin… pwede ko ba gamitin recipe mo gusto ko kasi mag benta ng mga home made na longganisa etc extra income lang

thanks

26. Krystle says:

It says knorr seasoning but I am not sure what kind to get or where. I have googled it and it came back with several different types of knorr seasoning??

27. Kim says:

Hi,
    What’s the substitute for the knorr seasoning? Thanks.