Homemade Shrimp and Pork Siomai

As promised just two posts down, I’m posting the recipe  for the Homemade Shrimp and Pork Siomai that I made the other day.  I got it from here.

Making these siomai from scratch was another first for me, not counting the time we made dumplings for a soup (Molo Soup) during Home Economics class in high school.  The effort I exerted in making the wrappers was not left unrewarded.  Both Hubby and Abby complimented the wrappers, saying that they were good.  But I will probably buy ready made wrappers next time as making the wrappers ate up a huge chunk of my time!

The pork siomai I made are too big, probably twice if not thrice the size of a regular siomai.  Hee hee. Given the success of this siomai venture, it looks like I won’t be buying frozen siomai again…at least, not anytime soon. :)

FILLING INGREDIENTS

• 1 lb ground pork
  • 1 lb ground shrimp
  • 1/3 cup chopped water chestnuts or turnips (singkamas)
  • 1/3 cup chopped carrots
  • 2 medium or 1 large minced onion(s)
  • bunch of spring onions or leeks
  • 1 egg
  • 5 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 50 pcs. large or 100 pcs. small wanton or siomai wrapper

WRAPPER INGREDIENTS

• 1/4 cup water
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable or corn oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1.  Mix all the ingredients for the filling in a bowl.
2.  Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture into each wrapper. Fold and seal.
3.  Meanwhile, boil water and brush steamer with oil.
4.  When the water gets to a rolling boil, arrange the siomai in the steamer and let stand for 15-20 minutes, longer for larger pieces.

Serve with soy sauce, calamansi and sesame oil.

To make the wrapper:

1.  Beat egg and mix with flour till free of lumps.
2.  Bring water, cooking oil and salt to a boil, then pour in flour.
3.  Remove from heat and beat until mixture forms a ball.
4.  Divide the dough into 1 1/4 -inch balls.
5.  Roll each ball on a floured board until paper thin. Set aside.

***UPDATE***

I have another siomai recipe: TURKEY SIOMAI

Comments

11 Responses to “Homemade Shrimp and Pork Siomai”

1. Junnie says:

ok, am out of the house…bibili ako saril kong dumplings heheeh, kakagurtom naman yan…cli-nose up pa kasi

Hi Junnie! Sorry kung ginutom ka ha! :D Cli-nose up ko talaga para kahit mga mata man lang ay makatikim ng pinaghirapan kong siomai. Haha! :P

2. Twinkie says:

Ate Weng, OA na kung OA pero nangilid mata ko. Thank you sa recipe. Lalo na yung wrapper. Di ko alam saan bumibili ng mga iyan dito e. Thank you talaga!

Ang swerte ng mag-ama mo sa’yo!!!

Twinkies last blog post..Mommy Duty Calls: Looking Back

3. WILMA says:

haaaay… salamat sa recipe ng wrapper… wla aq mbilan nyan dito
    Im crazy about siomai, promise!!!

Hi Wilma! You’re welcome! This recipe will give you yummy siomai wrapper! :)

4. […] of frozen dimsum (siomai, siopao and dumplings).  Since the first time I tried my hands on making homemade siomai (shu-mai), there was just no going back go frozen ones, except for siopao (steamed pork buns), […]

5. […] for a dimsum and dumplings blog!  Hee hee!  Anyway, the very first siomai I made ever was Shrimp and Pork. That was a tedious venture because I was crazy enough to make even the wrappers myself.  I have […]

6. tintinchan says:

Hi thanks for sharing…I wanted to make wrapper from scratch as I wanted to wow my family…is it that easy? again thank u.

Hi Tintin! Yes it’s easy but a little time consuming. :) This homemade wrapper tastes great, too! Do you already have a siomai recipe? If you don’t have one yet, I would suggest you use the wrapper recipe in this post and I would recommend this siomai recipe. :D Thanks for dropping by!

7. arjhen21 says:

try kong gumawa ng wrapper mas masarap kasi talaga compare sa nabibiling frozen… i used to live in taiwan at sobrang namimiz ko talaga dumplings and siomai dun… tnx for the recipe munchkin mommy!