Lasang Pinoys, Sundays #25: Silogs (Fried Rice and Eggs)

Sinangang (Fried Rice) plus itlog (eggs) equals “Silog“.  This combo of fried rice – garlic fried rice as is most often the case – and eggs is already a meal in intself.  But what’s the fun in that?  There’s always a third component, a “star viand” if you will, which completes this favorite meal among us Filipinos.  Following are three Silog combinations that always grace our dining table.

First up, tapa (cured beef).  Tapsilog (tapa, sinangang, itlog), is probably the original silog trio.

I sometimes cheat when making silogs.  Instead of making fried rice, I simply sprinkle crushed garlic chips on steamed rice.  That way, I get the same garlic fried rice taste with much less effort.

My favorite silog combo would have to be Tosilog where “to” stands for tocino (cured pork shoulder).

Another popular silog is Longsilog.  Long stands for longanisa (Filipino-style sausage).  The longanisa in the photo below is store bought.  It’s bland looking because my idea of good longanisa is “saucy”.  But not to worry, I have since learned how to make my own longanisa.

The next time I make longsilog, it will be these babies strutting down the dining table with my rice and eggs…

Exactly how I want my longanisa to be.  You can find the recipe here.

It is safe to say that there’s no limit to the silog combos one can come up with.  In my book, it is one of the most comforting of comfort foods.  It is perfect anytime of day (breakfast, lunch or dinner) be it in the heat of summer or in the cold of winter.  So make sure to have your fill before you go changing snowmobile parts!

Enjoy the rest of Thanksgiving weekend, y’all! I’m not done shopping yet! :)

Comments

10 Responses to “Lasang Pinoys, Sundays #25: Silogs (Fried Rice and Eggs)”

1. G_mirage says:

Wow! Andami nga nyan Weng, I’d take on every combo, my favorite would be longsilog, and yes Pinoy style…

Happy weekend! Let’s eat to our heart’s content! ;)

G_mirages last blog post..Lasang Pinoy Sundays – Silog

Yum – what a “silog galore” post! :cool:

Though Tapsilog would be tops on my list, lonsilog (with longanisa hamonado as my pick) would come a close second.

Any silog meal would be perfect especially after a long, “shop-till-you-drop” day, right? ;)

Pinkys last blog post..LaPiS: Silogs

mwehehe, pareho tayo, ako minsan garlic bits na lang, hahaa!

sarap weng, takam talaga ko sa longganisa mo! :)

abbys last blog post..Creme Brulee

4. iska says:

i also make my own longanisa; that is… pag hindi tinatamad hahaha!
    pero da best talaga!

iskas last blog post..La.Pi.S.25: Longsilog

5. FoodieJenn says:

SiLog Festival! Waaahhh… nagrerebolusyon na ang tyan ko! =)

Mine is posted here. Hope you can stop by as well.. Happy weekends!

FoodieJenns last blog post..LongSiLog

6. peachkins says:

I like my longganisa to be a little sweet..

My posts are here and here .

Hope you can visit..

peachkinss last blog post..La.Pi.S.: SILOGS

7. Lynn says:

Like you, tocilog is also my favorite of all the silogs. :)

Lynns last blog post..Silog (Garlic Rice and Egg)

8. spiCes says:

no doubt about it! you are another certified silog addict:) me want the longanisa now! will try your recipe wengski! and enjoy more shopping! me i was just window shopping:(

spiCess last blog post..Lasang Pinoy, Sundays Week#25: an ode to SILOGS

9. Julie says:

Andaming food :)

I haven’t been able to have longganisa due to health issues but maybe if I camke my own, that would be better :)

Have a great week, Weng.