Lasang Pinoy, Sundays #31: Chicken Afritada Onigiri

This week’s Lasang Pinoy, Sundays theme is “left-over”.

We had Chicken Afritada for dinner on Tuesday.  We had a few left-over drumsticks and lots of sauce to go with them, not to mention a cup or two of left-over rice in the rice-cooker.  For Abby’s school lunch on Wednesday (and Hubby’s lunch, too!), I decided to make a Filipinized onigiri…onigiri with chicken afritada filling

According to wiki, an onigiri, also known as omusubi or rice ball, is a food made from white rice formed into triangular or oval shape and often wrapped in nori (edible “seaweed”).  Traditionally, an onigiri is filled with pickled ume (umeboshi), salted salmon, katsuobushi, or any other salty or sour ingredient as a preservative.

Here are the things that you’ll need:

Rice

Afritada Sauce

Chicken afritada sliced or shredded into small bits

Here are the directions:

1.  Mix a tablespoon or two of the afritada sauce with the white rice.  Season with salt and pepper if needed.

2.  Wet the sides and bottom of an onigiri mold with water.  Spoon some of the mixed rice into an onigiri mold, leaving a well in the center for your filling, the chicken bits.  Put just enough chicken bits to fill the well. (Sorry, I forgot to take a pic of the rice with the chicken filling!)

3.  Top the filling with rice, leaving enough room for the onigiri mold cover.  Gently press the contents of the mold (the rice!) together with the mold cover.

4.  Tip the mold over onto a plate.  You can stop here if you like.

5.  You may also choose to gently fry the two sides of your onigiri until it is slightly brown.  This can be a bit tricky because depending on how well the rice have been pressed together, the onigiri may fall apart. :D  Transfer to a serving plate and serve.

If you don’t have an onigiri mold, you may form rice balls using a plastic wrap.  I haven’t tried doing that yet because I have a few onigiri molds.  Oh, disposable gloves aren’t really necessary even if you’ll be handling the food with your bare hands quite a few times.

Just make sure you wash your hands properly. :)

I’ve also tried making Adobo and Beef Steak Onigiri before.  The possibilities are endless!

Have a great weekend, y’all! :)

Comments

16 Responses to “Lasang Pinoy, Sundays #31: Chicken Afritada Onigiri”

1. Jay says:

abba!!! oo nga ano!!! this one is great left-over make over…thnx for the shaing, ill do dis sa adobo or binaggoong baboy :)

Here is Mine

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
    Salamat sa pagbisita :)

Jays last blog post..La.Pi.S #31: Left-Overs

2. ces says:

wowski wengski! buit ka pa prepared na prepared for this theme! lol! yumski! this is shear genius! reminds me of my tuyomaki and toshilog!:) which reminds me, we should do this round in Lapis too! fusion cuisine! maybe for the first anniv of Lapis, eh? hey, enjoy the weekend!

cess last blog post..Lasang Pinoy, Sundays: left-over

3. iska says:

That’s a wonderful make-over idea! And looks yummy and filling…

iskas last blog post..La.Pi.S: Breaded Shrimps

4. Dexie says:

oh wow, i’ve never heard of this. i reckon you could pretty much do it with any leftover meat or veggies, no? thanks for the idea. i’d definitely try this sometime.

5. Lynn says:

This is what I like about going around food blogs. I learn a lot. This is pretty neat.

Lynns last blog post..Ube Jam

This is a great idea! :) Now if only I could get hold of some onigiri molds of my own…

Pinkys last blog post..LaPiS: Left-Overs

7. FoodieJenn says:

Wow.. this is great. I will try this, too!

My LaPiS post is here. Happy Sunday!

FoodieJenns last blog post..Fish Lumpia

8. KitchenMaus says:

yayy weng! I haven’t thought of putiing in the ingredients with onigiri, thanks….

I was able to buy those molds from a japanese store when I went to Pinky’s hotel when they were in Vienna (yes, pinky thank you!) now, am off to the kitchen!

9. Thess says:

BRILLIANT!!!! Galing naman ni chef Weng! Lovely presentation pa….sana matikman ko rin..yumm!

10. tigerfish says:

That makes it finger-friendly! What a cool idea :)

tigerfishs last blog post..Vegetarian food, Ukiah, California

11. Cookie says:

Hoomaygad!! Ang galing naman. Masubukan nga ito. I’m sure my kids will love this :)

Cookies last blog post..LaPis : Leftovers

12. Manang says:

hmmmm…”kanin pa lang ulam na!” is truly applicable to this onigiri!

Manangs last blog post..Baked Mac&Cheese with Ham & Brocolli

13. Jescel says:

wow… a japanese-pinoy combo.. this is genius! very nice and i’m sure, very yummy…
    check out my left over too… :o)

Jescels last blog post..Whole Wheat Fruity Breakfast Muffins – Lasang Pinoy Sundays

14. mikky says:

how creative of you!!! great idea… :)

15. edna lewis says:

Any hints/suggestions on how to fry the onigiri without it falling apart? I was able to brown one side, but when I flipped it they fell apart at the filling.

Hi Edna! Whenever I brown/fry onigiri, I try to avoid moving the onigiri too much in the pan so there’s less chance of it falling apart. A great “flipper” are tongs with flat ends that resemble a spatula (the ones used for flipping fried eggs and pancakes) or, as an alternative, you can use two spatulas: one to lift the onigiri off the pan and the other one to press the onigiri against the “lifting spatula” to help the onigiri hold it’s shape while you’re flipping. That’s about all the tips I can give you. :) I hope they help!

Thanks for dropping by! :)