Lasang Pinoy, Sundays #32: Hot Drinks

I have two favorite “hot drinks”: hot chocolate/cocoa and freshly brewed coffee.

A sentimental favorite, when it comes to hot cocoa, is the Cocoa Tablea brand from the Philippines.  These are chocolate tablets, which are melted with milk and a little sugar (if desired) on the stove top.  It is rich and perfect with churros.  I think it’s safe to say that Tablea is most popular during the Christmas season. :)  Unfortunately, the Asian supermarket where we shop doesn’t carry that product.  Huhu.

Hot Chocolate from The Stove (Mammoth, CA)

Hot Chocolate from Magnolia Cafe (Austin, TX)

I used to be ok with instant coffee.  That was before we moved to TX.  One of the first kitchen appliances we bought was a dirt cheap coffee maker from Walmart.  Since my first cup of freshly brewed coffee, there was no going back to instant. :)  Come to think of it, I never had instant coffee here in the US.  But I’ll be more than willing to embrace instant coffee again when I come home for a vacation!

Coffee from popular coffee houses is an occasional splurge.  Starbucks coffee a couple of times a week is quite costly.  Instead, we buy Starbucks, Seattle’s Best or Cafe Ole (a Texas brand) ground coffee, which costs between $6.00 and $8.00 and just brew home.

My coffee house favorite is Cafe Mocha.  Last December, Hubby and I were able to try 2 of Starbuck’s holiday flavors: Peppermint Mocha and Eggnog Latte.  I loved the Peppermint Mocha.  The Eggnog Latte, on the other hand, is an entirely different story.  I haven’t tasted eggnog before so I ordered the coffee drink out of curiosity.  And my first though after that first sip was, “What was I thinking?!”  No more eggnogs for me, in whatever shape or form. :)

That’s about it for my hot drinks entry.  Have a wonderful weekend, y’all!  It’s a long weekend for us, Monday being Martin Luther King Jr. Day.  Yahoo! :)

Comments

10 Responses to “Lasang Pinoy, Sundays #32: Hot Drinks”

1. ces says:

panalo ka talga wengski! ang aga! mukhang mas nauna ka pa nag-post sakn e:) i did mine in a hurry kanina, even if sinisukmura nako, picture away pa rin ang drama ko haha! anyways, one day i’ll send you some antonio pueo ok? mwah! gtg! busy busy weekend!

cess last blog post..Lasang Pinoy, Sundays: hot drinks

2. Gmirage says:

In a weird way, Im no coffee lover :D Ayan trouble tuloy wala pa akong post ahaha. But I would love to have churros con tsokolate esp ngayong winter! On a side note, naisip ko lang wala yatang Seattle’s best dito, puro starbucks! Enjoy your lone weekend! ;-)

3. Gmirage says:

I meant ‘long’ weekend weng :D

4. julie says:

Wow, mega-explain ang post mo but its ok, :)

Ako naman medyo hindi ko kasundomasyado ang brewed coffee kahit gusto ko ito.

Kelangan magkape tayo kapag nagbakasyon kayo dito ha? :D

Happy long weekend!

julies last blog post..Tsokolate-e

5. iska says:

I love good coffee. I seriously think I need to save some bucks and buy us a coffee maker…

iskas last blog post..La.Pi.S: Cappuccino Musings

love ko din hot chocolate with whipped cream. yum!

abbys last blog post..Lasang Pinoy, Sundays: Hot Drinks

7. Thess says:

Buti n a lang walang SB dito at iisa lang Starbucks, sa airport pa! (cheap ng dutch ano?) kaya make my own ako na lang…
    love the first 2 shots, ang sarap naman!

Actually, mas love ko yung whipped cream kesa sa hot chocolate or coffee e – hehehe ;)

In fact, when in SB, I order Javanilla more than their coffees. Same story in Starbucks, frappuccinos are the way to go for me! :)

Pinkys last blog post..LaPiS: Hot Drinks

9. Jenny says:

I love their Peppermint Mocha too! Too bad they didn’t offer it last Christmas season. The replacement drink was Dark Cherry Mocha. :(

Jennys last blog post..First Dental Visit

10. Keith says:

I agree with Pinky, the whipped cream looks so yummy… super dami noon ha. I also prefer the cold coffee drinks over the hot ones.

Keiths last blog post..LaPiS 023 – Hot Drinks