Spam Musubi

Who hasn’t heard of Spam?! It is such a household name that some people actually make the mistake of referring to canned ham as Spam or sometimes by another brand…Ma-ling. Hee hee.

Spam can be a lifesaver specially when one is too lazy to cook a decent viand. So it’s not the best option for viand, what with it being salty and all.  Still, it’s better than eating rice with plain salt.  ;)  Since Spam goes very well with rice, it makes a lot of sense to me why in Hawaii, Spam and rice wrapped in nori is a popular snack or luncheon treat. Spam musubi is what it’s called.

Here’s the full Wikipedia definition:

Spam musubi is a very popular snack and luncheon food in Hawaii made in the tradition of Japanese onigiri, also known as a musubi. A Spam musubi is composed of a block of salted (not vinegared; that would be sushi) rice with a slice of Spam (cooked or uncooked) on top, and typically nori (dried seaweed) surrounding it to keep it in shape.

I was introduced to Spam musubi when a couple friend of ours made and brought some with them when we visited a pumpkin patch in November of last year.  What they brought was “sandwich style”, that is, spam sandwiched between two thin layers of rice and wrapped in nori.  The pictures on this entry are of the “traditional-style” spam musubi.

INGREDIENTS:

Spam
rice
nori strips

EQUIPMENT

sushi mold or ice cube tray

PROCEDURE

1. It’s up to you whether you want to use cooked or uncooked spam.  Slice them into pieces that are the same size as the mold you are using.

2.  Moisten the sides and bottom of your sushi mold or ice cube tray to prevent the rice from sticking.  Then invert it and tap a little so your little blocks of rice will come out.

3.  Lay a piece of spam onto the block of rice.

4.  Wrap a strip of nori around the spam and block of rice.  The ends should meet at the bottom.  Moisten with a little water to seal the ends.

Piece of cake, isn’t it? Optional Spam musubi ingredients are teriyaki sauce  tamagoyaki (Japanese omelette), shoyu (soy sauce), as well as furikake (seasoning).

When I get around to making a sandwich-style Spam musubi, I’ll be sure to post it as well. :)

Comments

21 Responses to “Spam Musubi”

1. Ate Myra says:

We love this stuff! Our cousin’s wife who hails from Hawaii, now brings this for us on Christmas Eve. I have another friend from Hawaii that marinates her spam before making her musubi! This is one thing, I may never try to make, so I am good out her in So. CA where you can go to the nearest L & L or any Hawaiian restaurant and just buy it… I love it.

Hi Ate Myra! Lucky you! I’m guessing those relatives of yours from Hawaii are either from your dad’s side or Ed’s. I sure don’t know of any relatives from Hawaii! Haha! :) When I’m not too lazy the next time I make Spam musubi, I’ll try making it with the other ingredients (terriyaki sauce, furukaki, etc.). And why do you say you may never try to make this? You should! It’s a walk in the clouds…I meant park. Haha! :D

Oops! Did I say furukaki? I meant furikake. Well, I’m not Japanese. I just love their food. Hee hee!

2. Ate Myra says:

You’re correct. It’s certainly not the Santos side, it’s the Mesina side. As far as I know we do not have any relatives in HI. Too bad for us. But I have asked Shanna to get me a musubi maker…maybe that will be my inspiration to make it. I’m just…tamad (LAZY) to make it myself. I leave that to you to make great stuff and I can read all your great stuff!

Ate Myra, can you somehow tell Shanna you need two musubi makers? The other one’s for me, of course! Hahaha! Kidding. Leaving me to do the great stuff…you.are.so.funny! Hahaha!

grabe great minds think alike, i was thinking of exactly the same thing this minute!!! i was going to google spam musubi molds and whaddyaknow!!! :D

abbys last blog post..Bibingka Love

Hi Abby! Pareho tayo ng wavelength! Haha! Alam mo, matagal na rin akong nagbabantay ng musubi maker sa e-bay. Ang pinag-iinitan ko yung may gaps which serve as your slicing guides. Habang wala kang musubi maker, ice cube tray na lang muna ang gamitin mo. :)

Lookin’ good…and tastes even better, I’m sure! :) Keith was absolutely drooling when he saw your post since Spam and Jap food are his two all-time favorites! Yum-yum!

Pinkys last blog post..Kung Hei Fat Choi!

Hi PInks! I didn’t realize that Keith loves Spam so much. Maybe we should let Tito Kit know so that he can just reserve all the Spams for Keith when Christmas raffle time comes. Hahaha! :D

Pinky Reply:

Good idea yan ha! :lol: Pero I’ll make sure na Spam Lite lahat para healthier (?) – bwahaha uli!

Pinkys last blog post..LaPiS: Steamed

5. Zriz says:

Wow! I love the photos!

I know Spam is so popular in Hawaii…but I’m not a huge fan of it….

Zrizs last blog post..Almond Mocha Chip

Hi Zriz! Thank you for the kind words. I’m glad you liked the photos. Hee hee. :D

6. Thess says:

Weng, I love love this post! Wow!
    Few weeks back I got this ‘Hawai’i Cooks with SPAM’ recipe-book from a friend living in Hawaii and I was so thrilled to see all the beautifully presented spam recipes there. Grabe parang contributor ka dun ha, ang ganda ng presentation mo!

now you’re challenging me to try this ha ha, I hope kahit kalahati man lang ng gawa mo ma accomplish ko *crossing my fingers*

Have a jolly weekend! ;)

Hi Thess! Ikaw naman! For sure, yours will taste and look better and will be photographed waaaaay better as well! Just the same, thanks ha! You know when it comes to food photography, I was inspired by and learned from the examples of the best photography junkie friends I have. Una ka na sa listahan! :D Let me know pag nakagawa ka na ng Spam recipe ha. Lite gamitin mo! HIndi na tayo bata! Haha! :) Mmmwah!

You have a fantastic weekend!

7. Bem says:

my son saw the pics and he said “gusto ko yan for my baon”. maybe i’ll try doing this one of these days – meron pa ako natirang nori. the ice cube tray idea is so neat! ang hirap mag-mold ‘di ba?

Bems last blog post..Food Friday : Pork Binagoongan

8. zerrin says:

To be honest, I haven’t heard about spam before. But these photos are great and I’m really curious about its taste. How I’m sorry that I don’t have any chance of tasting it. Thank you anyway.

9. […] We just love spam musubi! […]

10. lenny says:

I live in Japan and though Japanese don’t eat that much spam, they’ve got cute commercials on TV for spam

Hi Lenny! If I lived in Japan, I won’t be touching Spam as well, not when I can have fresh fish! Thanks for the link to the cute commercial. :)

11. http://www.silver60spaces.com/myanmarcycling/88f73-87219-48.htmlニューバランス 店舗 大阪,ニューバランス 店舗 レディース,本物保証!超安い!毎日更新!半額多数!人気ある,ニューバランス メンズ ランキング
    ニューバランス 梨花 グレー,ニューバランス スニーカー コーディネート,2015経典の価格で提供し!☆巨大な割引☆2014経典の価格で提供し!を興味があれば 、是非弊社へ見てください、見逃がさなく。,楽天市場紳士ニューバランスシューズ http://www.kazvaremadeit.com/myanmarcycling/77dff-17215-15.html