Lasang Pinoy, Sundays #34: Leche Flan

“Steamed” is the theme for this week’s Lasang Pinoy, Sundays. I have two steamers, both of which I use fairly often.

I use the bamboo steamer, solely for dim-sum: siopao, siomai, dumplings, and cuapao.

This good-sized aluminum steamer, I use for fish and one of my all-time favorite Filipino desserts, Leche Flan.

Generally, steaming is the healthier cooking technique.  It’s even healthier than boiling, because boiling strips food of more nutrients than steaming does.  Then again, if what you’re steaming is a dessert, the primary ingredients of which are eggs (mostly egg yolks at that), then that’s a whole different story. Haha!

I have what you might call a “love-hate” relationship with Leche Flan as far as cooking it is concerned.  Leche Flan is fairly easy to make, that is, once you’ve gotten past the tricky part of caramelizing the sugar. ;)  Everything else will be a walk in the park after you’ve got your caramel sitting contentedly on your pans.

When I made leche flan on for our New Year’s Eve party, I wasted 4 pounds (yes, 4 effin’ pounds!) of sugar before I finally settled for a pathetically pale caramel. Ugh.  Anyway, the caramel gods must have heard the silent prayer I uttered last night.  I got it right the first time…a cup of sugar is all it took.  Nanay, my maternal grandma, would have been proud of me.  Yey me! Hahaha! :)

Here’s the recipe to a leche flan, which, I promise you, will taste good, even if you mess up everything else…caramel, texture and all.  I got this from my mom’s sister – my California-based “aunty-ninang” (aunt-slash-godmother) – and it’s a recipe I’ve been using since we moved to TX.

INGREDIENTS (for one 8″ or 9″ round pan – Note: Just double the recipe like I always do, because really, 1 pan isn’t enough!)

3 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
1 can condensed milk
half a condensed milk can of water
a few drops of vanilla (optional – I rarely use any because my Lola doesn’t use vanilla anyway).
lemon rind (optional –  I have yet to put lemon rind on my leche flan…again, because Nanay doesn’t.  Hee hee)

1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water for the caramel

PROCEDURE

1.  Caramelize the sugar on a heavy-bottomed stainless steel pan.  Let this video be your guide.  Once you’ve got the sugar caramelized to a nice golden amber, coat the bottom of your pan and maybe a little of the sides as well, with the caramel.
2.  In a bowl, whisk the eggs.  Then add the rest of the ingredients.
3.  Whisk some more until the ingredients are well blended.  Avoid bubbles!
4.  Strain the mixture then transfer to a pan.
5.  Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place it on the steamer.
6.  Steam for 45-60 minutes, testing for doneness with a toothpick.  Alternatively, you can cook your leche flan in the oven.  Place the pan on a water bath and bake at 350F.  Test for doneness at 45 minutes.  This may take a wee bit longer.
7.  When it’s done, let cool then chill in the refrigerator.

I got hold of another leche flan recipe from another California-based aunty-ninang (aunt-godmother).  I hope to test it next time I have a leche flan craving.

Have a great weekend, y’all!  Mabuhay! :)

Comments

14 Responses to “Lasang Pinoy, Sundays #34: Leche Flan”

1. Jay says:

ang sarap ng theme this week, may siomai na, may leche flan pa :D yummy talaga

anyways my jaw breaking treat is here

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
    Salamat sa pagbisita :)

Jays last blog post..Pinoy Street Food #14: Puto Bumbong

Weng, I also did leche flan! Sobrang pareho wavelength natin for the theme this week – apir!!! :lol:

My leche flan doesn’t look as good as yours though… I agree – making leche flan is one tricky business! ;)

Pinkys last blog post..LaPiS: Steamed

3. Ate Myra says:

Is this my mom’s recipe? For some reason, it seems like she had Lissa cracking more eggs than what your recipe calls for (hee,hee). I think it’s because your leche flan looks thinner, that I am thrown off…but it looks great. And yeah, if Nanay didn’t do it a certain way…I’d keep it just the same!

P.S. Hope Ed doesn’t notice there is a recipe, I may have to to make it…Ahh Weng…

Hi Ate Myra! Believe me, this is your mom’s recipe! It’s actually only good for that one oval Philippine llanera (pan). I usually double the recipe so I’ll have a thicker leche flan because I use either a loaf pan or the 8 or 9 inch round pans. Yeah, I would have wanted a thicker flan but I already had two pans with perfectly caramelized sugar waiting so I had to divide the mixture equally. It’s not everyday that I get exactly the kind of caramelized sugar that I want. Haha!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Super Bowl Sunday! :)

PS. I don’t think Ed reads my blogs anyway, so you can breathe a sigh of relief…I think. :D Hahaha!

4. Thess says:

Bilib ako sa sipag mo sa kitchen talaga Weng! Simply katakam-takam weng, katakam takaw!! (ay bakit naging ganuon? *lol* )

psst I made musubi na! post ko bukas..buzz kita :)

5. Gmirage says:

I have fond memories of cooking leche flan, errr preparing leche flan or more of eating lol. I do like the process kasi especially the smell of the mixture when I put lemon peel.

My mom always do the steaming but when she asked me once to do it, ayun naging puto! lol. She makes smooth leche flan, which I really miss.

I saw your musubi below too, its a family fave, and I had my recipe submitted to an online book compilation :) sobrang love ko yan!

6. iska says:

Your leche flan looks divine!
    (And I like your aluminum steamer.)

iskas last blog post..Steamed Mussels (Moules Marinières)

7. maiylah says:

hubby loves eating leche flan and so my SIL makes more than the usual when we visit them. that looks soooo yummy!!
    many thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

enjoy your weekend!

maiylahs last blog post..Lasang Pinoy, Sundays: Steamed

8. Oggi says:

I love the aluminum steamer. My bamboo steamer is one busy gadget and I have to go get another set because the bottoms are a bit burnt due to constant use.

Leche flan, sooo good.:)

9. Jescel says:

I’ll have leche flan in any form and flavor. that’s one of my all time favorite dessert. And you’re not alone. I, too, have a love-hate relationship with it!

Jescels last blog post..Whole Wheat Fruity Breakfast Muffins – Lasang Pinoy Sundays

10. I’ve never used a steamer to make leche flan before! Definitely will keep it mind for the next time.

Tangled Noodles last blog post..Of Sunday Mass and Family Meals

sarap talaga ng leche flan, sobrang favorite ko yan. ang recipe ko naman 10 egg yolks, one can condensed, and one can evap. yun lang, creamy and sarap din!

weng gumawa na ako ng siomai from scratch, you will be very proud of me!!! :D

abbys last blog post..Lasang Pinoy, Sundays: Steamed

12. ces says:

dami ko nang utang na bisita dito! at ang daming masasarap! i have the bamboo steamer even the electric steamer, but i need that humongous metal kind! alam mo when i eat leche flan, hanggang 1 spoon lang, okay make that 2! ok na ako dun:) looks good, your flan.. thanks again wengski for guest hosting..i’m still not yet settled but slowly getting there…

cess last blog post..Litrato: a myriad of Tsokolates

13. […] been following religiously for the longest time now.  While I love that recipe, which you can find HERE, I have to say that as of Christmas 2009, I’ve already moved on to a yummier and creamier […]