Shrimp and Fish Balls

I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am to share this recipe.  I bought a dim sum recipe book a few weeks ago and I was finally able to try one of the recipes, the simplest of them all in my opinion, late this afternoon.  If you’re observing meatless Fridays and running out of ideas on what to cook on Fridays, you just might find this useful. :D

Shrimp and Fish Balls.  This, I tell you, is high-end street food.  And because it’s from a Chinese recipe book, it tastes so authentically Chinese!  Promise!  Here’s the recipe…

INGREDIENTS (Makes approximately 40 balls)

1 lb shrimp (shelled and deveneined)
1/2 lb boneless fish fillet
1 egg white
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons rice wine
oil for deep frying

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Finely mince shrimp and fish.

2.  Combine thoroughly with remaining ingredients.

3.  Shape into 1 1/2″ (4cm) balls.  Wet fingers to keep meat from sticking.  (Note:  I used a 1/2 tablespoon measuring spoon to help me make sure I’ve got balls of pretty much the same size.)

4.  Deep fry in 350F (175C) oil for 2 to 3 minutes.

5.  Remove and drain.

6.  Serve with preferred dipping sauce.

I made a total of 37 balls and cooked 20 of them.  My little foodie of a daughter ate more than I did.  To say that she loved these balls is an understatement.  Haha!

You can play with these shrimp balls in so many ways.  One is to serve them as appetizers with your favorite dipping sauce.  We used sweet chilli sauce, by the way.    Another is to turn them into Sweet and Sour Shrimp and Fish Balls.  I have a sweet and sour recipe here.   You can also use these balls in your (noodle) soup or even in your congee!

Making your own Shrimp Balls is a bit tedious, I have to admit, what with the mincing and forming into balls involved.  But, compared to commercial shrimp balls, these ones retain their size after you fish them out of the oil.  And of course, you’re sure that the balls you’re eating are free of preservatives. ;)  It’s all worth the trouble!  Promise!

I have to buy more shrimps and fish fillets.  I need to stock up on these balls.  I might substitute the shrimps and fish with chicken or squid.  Weeee!  Sorry, I can’t hide my excitement. :D

Comments

31 Responses to “Shrimp and Fish Balls”

1. tin says:

ayayay, i want some!! ha ha.. kaya lang ang tamad ko magluto ngayon e. sigh..

tins last blog post..A Promise

HI Tin! With your current state, baka nga hindi mo ito magawa kahit sipagin ka. Kasi diba pregnant women are usually turned off by the smell of fish/seafood? When I was pregnant with Abby, much as I love salmon, I couldn’t bear the smell and taste of it. I thought arte lang yung among the smell of fish, totoo pala. Hahaha! :)

2. avril says:

Wow, my mouth waters. You inspire many would-be-cooks!

Hi Tita Myra! Awww, you are so sweet. Thank you!

loooks goooooood!

abbys last blog post..Seared Ahi Tuna and Soba Noodles

Hi Abby! This was another winner. We’ll have it again for lunch. Request ng senyorita. She even wanted it for breakfast sana! I served her pancakes instead! ;)

4. Junnie says:

lunok laway…

this looks easy. I should try it soon.

Hi Junnie! What a pleasant surprise! I don’t normally see you here. Hahaha! Sige, add this to your list of “something new to try”. ;) Balitaan mo ako ha!

5. Gracie says:

pwede bang mag-request at padalhan mo naman ako ng shrimp balls na gawa mo? favorite ko ang Shrimps dati at lalo na ngayong buntis ako :)

Gracies last blog post..the ride – check!

Hi Gracie! Naku, kung puwede lang talaga e papadalhan kita! Masamang tinatakam ang buntis! Hee hee! Pagawa mo na lang kay Daddy R. I’m sure pagbibigyan ka noon. I will bet on that! Print mo itong recipe tapos iabot mo sa kaniya! Hahaha!

6. Jigi says:

now that is what i call a high end fish ball…. sa picture pa lang im already salivating and yes im 7 mos pregnant and is willing to try this tomorrow… my first agenda for the day is get to the shop to get some fish (i have some prawns in the freezer already)… will blog it and will let you know how it came out… :)

Jigis last blog post..One Unscheduled Brownies

Hi Jigi! Haha, this is really high end! You know what, you’re the third expactant mom to leave a comment on this post! I didn’t know shrimp/fish balls are so appealing to pregnant women! Hahaha!

Ooh, do you have rice wine already? I think that’s key here. I bought mine at a regular supermarket, not the Asian supermarket and on the bottle it say “distilled spirirts of rice”…just so you know. :) Good luck on your shrimp balls adventure! I look forward to hearing about the result. I’m excited for you! Cheers!

7. JMom says:

oh wow! those look delicious! I want some too :)

Hi JMom! Naku, you can do this with your eyes closed! :D My daughter loved these shrimp balls so much that she wants them for her baon next week. Haha! I have to buy more shrimps and fish and I will also try to use chicken. ;)

8. Jigi says:

It was delishhhh … tried it today and cant wait to cook all of them…’
    here is the link to what I have done

thanks for sharing it…

jigi

Jigis last blog post..My Version of Prawn & Fish Balls

Hi Jigi! I already visited your site. I honestly think your prawn & fish balls look better than mine. Hee hee. You’re welcome and I’m glad you had a successful testing of this recipe. Cheers!

9. tigerfish says:

I’ve tried making similar too but with a medley of seafood, and I added some curry powder to spice it up a lil’. I know what you mean when you say this is really good. :)

tigerfishs last blog post..Fish Pasta

10. munchkinvcd says:

ta-try ko ‘to, NOW NA! :)

Hi MunchkinVCD! Oooh, I’m excited! Let me know how it goes! :D

11. Wow, those homemade shrimp and fish balls look so delicious. Thanks for sharing. Perfect for Holy Week.

Rach (Heart of Rachel)s last blog post..3 Word Thursdays #20

Hi Rach! What I want to get my hands on are the recipes for the fishball sauces…yung sauce sa kariton! Baka naman meron ka. Share naman! :D

12. Twinkie says:

Aylabyu!!! :)

Twinkies last blog post..Summer?

Hi Twinkie! Ahahay, obvious na hindi mo gusto ang shrimp/fish balls! Aylabyu tu! :D

13. […] mentioned in my Shrimp & Fish Balls entry that there’s so many ways that simple dish can be played with.  It can be an appetizer […]

14. […] NEED: 10 pcs crabsticks (halved), 15 pcs homemade shrimp-fish balls (thanks to Munchkin Mommy for the recipe!), 2 small heads of brocolli, two handfuls of dried […]

15. […] shrimp balls are home-made.  The only way my daughter would eat rice is if they were in sushi form.  So I […]

16. arjhen21 says:

la po rice vinegar dito sa finland, pede po wag n lng lagyan? gustong gusto ko pong itry gawin ito…. thanks!

Hi Arjhen21! I am so sorry for the late reply. Did you mean the rice wine? Kasi there’s no vinegar in the recipe. :) I did a little research. There are several substitutes you can use for rice wine. The closest substitues would be pale dry sherry and gin, both of which you can find at a liquor store. Other alternative substitutes are dry white wine, and if you want to go for non-alcoholic, apple juice and white grape juice. O ayan, puwede mo nang gawin itong shrimp balls! Good luck! :)

17. […] HERE for the Shrimp Balls recipe, and HERE for the (basic) Sweet and Sour […]

18. […] posted the recipe with photo tutorial for Shrimp and Fish Balls more than a year ago.  That recipe was from a Chinese recipe book.  The recipe I used for these […]

19. tin says:

di na ako preggy, i should try this soon! hahaha :) thanks for posting this on fb!