Affordable Fine Dining

*This is entry #41 for Lasang Pinoy, Sundays (La.Pi.S.).”

This week’s La.Pi.S. theme is “Fine Dining”.  Much as Hubby and I love to eat, we’re more of what you might call casual diners, as opposed to fine diners.  Hahaha!  And when we had our Li’l Munchkin (LM), trips to fine dining restaurants became even less frequent.  When LM goes to Kindergarten, maybe Hubby and I can sneak out for some  fine dining lunches every now and then. Now that’s an idea! (Yeah, right!)  ;)

In our almost two years here in Texas, we’ve only managed to go to two fine dining restaurants.  The last one was a little over a year ago, for my Mom’s going away dinner.  We had it a Truluck’s, which Urbanspoon categorizes as an “affordable fine dining” restaurant, that is, entrees are between $15 and $25.

I’ve already posted an entry about our Truluck’s dining experience.  I’ll simply be reposting photos for this entry. ;)

We all  have pre-conceived notions about fine dining restaurants.  So how can we tell if we are in one?  Oh it’s not that hard to tell really…

Drinking water, for one, is neither in a plastic nor a stainless pitcher.  It has a special container all its own.  And you’ve got goblets for your water instead of tall glasses.

Shrimp cocktail is served not on a bed of ice but on a unique serving bowl, such as the one above, complete with smokey effect!  Lemon, isn’t served naked.  See that little yellow package with a green bow?  That’s the lemon. ;)

When we hear the words “fine dining” we’re often guilty of thinking petite serving on a huge plate.  Unless of course, when you’re eating Norwegian Dungeness Crab. :D

This is more like the fine dining type of presentation.  Food is layered one on top of the other.  Still, it’s not what you might call a petite serving. :D  That’s Jalapeño Salmon, by the way, with mashed potato and shrimps.

Aaaah, dessert.  I’m glad ours didn’t come in a size that could only be seen under a magnifying glass.  It came in a good-sized package that can be shared by at least 4 people.

I have yet to be wowed again in the same way that this Chocoalte Sack wowed me.

There you have it.  Affordable fine dining at it’s finest. :)

Truluck’s
10225 Research Blvd Ste 4000
Austin, TX 78759
(512) 794-8300

Truluck's on Urbanspoon

Comments

13 Responses to “Affordable Fine Dining”

1. ces says:

what a lovely place! and that sneaking around is so true:) from experience? M has to take half a day off just for us to have a lunch date!:)

cess last blog post..Johnny Rockets

Hi Ces! Oh, how sweet of M to take half the day off just so you two can go on a lunch date! For now, it’s occasional breakfast dates for Hubby and me. Come August or September, lunch dates will be doable. ;)

I remember the Chocolate Sack – so sinfully delicious! :)

The salmon looks heavenly too!

You gave me a great idea there, btw… of having fine dining lunches when the little ones are away at school – yahoo! Maybe I can broach the idea to Keith by August – when Marga starts to go to school. Thanks for the tip, cousin! :)

Pinkys last blog post..LaPiS: Fine Dining

Hi Pinks! I will always remember the Chocolate Sack with special fondness. Hahaha! Are you prepared to see Marga go to school? Her first day will be tough…on you! Brace yourself for some separation anxiety. ;)

3. Hubby's Cook says:

ohhhh…I’m drooling already! looks so yummy!

Hubby’s Cooks last blog post..Chicken Feet of Little Ding How

Hi Hubby’s Cook! I know what you mean. I also find myself drooling when I see food pics. :) Thanks for dropping by!

4. Zriz says:

hehehe yummy nga! I love the shrimp cocktail smokey thingy and the dessert looks heavenly!

I noticed that US serving sizes are HUGE compared to what we are used to… :)

Zrizs last blog post..Fine Dining

Hi Zriz! My daughter loved the smokey effect from the shrimp cocktail. I recall that after all the smoke was gone, our server was kind enough to bring back the effect just so I could take a photo. :D

I think the fine dining serving size depends on the restaurant. Maybe the serving size will be smaller if it were a French restaurant. Hee hee! :)

5. Jay says:

ill skip the crabs & shrimps

ill go directly to that wow great choco dessert

sorry late comment me to youmy entry is here

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
    Salamat sa pagbisita :)

Jays last blog post..La.Pi.S # 41: Fine Dining

6. JMom says:

oh wow, the crabs made me drool!! :) fancy talaga ha, umuusok pa yung shrimp cocktail. hehe!

7. Jescel says:

my jaw dropped when I saw that dessert… ginormous, indeed! pls. don’t tell me you ate it all! lol….

Jescels last blog post..White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies & 100th Post

i remember this post! :) kami din, one of the reasons why we rarely eat in uber fancy restos are the small portions=big money. i feel like we’ll go home still hungry and nalugi! :D

abbys last blog post..Lasang Pinoy, Sundays: Fine Dining

9. What a great place. I would love to sample that crab. The dessert seems so tempting. It’s calling me right now. :)

Rach (Heart of Rachel)s last blog post..3 Word Thursdays #20