Steamed Dumplings

We used to buy a lot of frozen dimsum (siu-mai, siopao and dumplings).  Since the first time I tried my hands on making homemade siomai (shu-mai), there was just no going back go frozen ones, except for siopao (steamed pork buns), which we now just buy occasionally…and which I hope to make from scratch real soon (cross fingers!). ;)

Some time in January, I was invited by a dear friend, Ces, to be the  guest food photographer for the theme “Steamed” of  Lasang Pinoy, Sundays.  I posted photos of Steamed Turkey Dumplings.  I’ve been meaning to post the recipe but I just keep forgetting!  Today, I found the piece of paper where I wrote the recipe in my “file drawer” in the kitchen.  I should post the recipe now before I lose this piece of paper!

I got this recipe from another dear dear friend, Bet, who is just wonderful in the kitchen.   She got the recipe from her Chinese/Vietnamese sister-in-law.  So this is an authentic recipe! ;)   Bet used this recipe to make Wonton Soup and it was love at first bite for me!  I hope this isn’t a secret family recipe because after I hit “publish”, this won’t be a secret anymore!  Hahaha!

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb. ground meat of choice (I used turkey.  Pork and chicken are always good options. ;) )
1 egg
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp + 1/2 tsp soysauce
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 Tbsp green onion
1/2 tsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp cooking wine
3 Tbsp bokchoy (chopped)

40-50 pcs. dumpling wrappers (store bought)

DIRECTIONS:

1.  In a bowl, thoroughly mix all the ingredients together.

2. Spoon 1 Tbsp of the filling on one dumpling wrapper.

(Note: How do you do a taste test?  Drop a small amount of the mixture in boiling water. Wait for it to cook, which shouldn’t take long, then taste.  Adjust the seasonings as needed. ;) )

2.  Moisten the edges of the wrapper, fold in half then press the top part to seal.

3.  With the side of your thumb and pointer finger (on your left hand), press the left side of the dumpling to seal.

4.  Do the same to seal the other side of the dumpling.

5.  Continue filling the other wrappers.  Set aside the pieces you want to cook right away.  Store the remaining pieces in a freezer bag and freeze.

6.  Steam for 20 minutes.  (Don’t panic when the wrappers become wrinkly.  They’re supposed to do that.  Hee hee.)

7.  Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.  (Mine is soy sauce with lime or lemon.)

Now wasn’t that easy?  Instead of steaming, you can drop these in your favorite noodle/soup broth.  You can also use this very same recipe to make siomai (substitute half the amount of ground meat with 1/2 lb shrimps).  This is your cue to say buh-bye to frozen dumplings! ;)

Comments

17 Responses to “Steamed Dumplings”

Yum! I think I can do this…minus the cooking wine, of course… :( Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for sharing!

Pinkys last blog post..Meatloaf

Hi Pinks! You can definitely do this because you make siomai, diba? The first time I made this, I also didn’t use cooking wine. It turned out fine. :) But I now have a couple of bottles of cooking wine in the pantry: red, white and rice. Hee hee. Do let me know how your dumplings turn out. :D

2. ing says:

hello…
    this is easy to make. i’ve been wanting to try this one but i just couldn’t find that dumpling wrapper or wonton wrapper here in uae.
    but i already bookmarked this just incase.
    tnx.
    ingat… :p

3. JMom says:

I love how they get all wrinkly like that :)

Hi JMom! Oh I love it when they start getting wrinkly because that’s when they start looking like dumplings! Hee hee! :D

4. Jigi says:

hi there
    its funny how i have the exact entry on my draft which i made last week (i think) but do not have the energy to post at the moment due to being an overly tired pregnant mum of a hyper active year old boy… hope you dont think that im copying you hahahaha

will post mine over the weekend (if i still have enough energy)

i always look forward to all your recipes
    Jigi

Jigis last blog post..(Bubble) Bath Time is Fun Time

Hi Jigi! Don’t be silly! I won’t think you’re copying! Hahaha! :) I also have some drafts, which, unfortunately, are still drafts…to think I’m not pregnant and my daughter’s 4 years old already. You have a very valid excuse so just take your sweet time. ;)

5. Jigi says:

got abit excited and posted it anyway… here is the link

i suppose we all have a variation when it comes to making these food but one thing we all share in common — our love for food and eating of course

keep the recipes from coming… love them all and even hubby who is a chef is learning from your site :) hahahaha

Jigi

Jigis last blog post..Trying to do a Homemade Siomai / Dumplings

Jigs, I left a comment on your entry already. :D I don’t think there’s any dish that everybody cooks or interprets the same way…not even adobo and sinigang. Haha! That’s what makes food, cooking and eating such an adventure, don’t you think?

What do you mean your hubby is learning form my site? Noooooo! Hahaha! I suddenly feel self conscious. *blushing right now!* It should be the other way around! You must have good food at your house all day, everyday because both you and your hubby cook. What a treat that must be!

6. Love these dumplings! My steamer basket is now my BFF!

Tangled Noodles last blog post..Tuesday’s Theme: Many Thanks and a Meme

Hi Tangled Noodle! I’ve loved my steamer since the first time I used it. Hahaha! I think I need a bigger one already!

7. Twinkie says:

Si Jose pinandilatan ako kasi napa-Oh my ako ng sobrang lakas e tulog na si Mia. Haha! Galing mo talaga Ate Weng! Sana next time Ate Weng maka-share ka rin paano gawin yung wrapper. Uy… kinapalan ko na mukha ko sa pag-request… Hehehe!

Twinkies last blog post..Summer?

Hi Twinks! Mukhang hindi ka busy at tinutuhog mo ang mga blog entries ko ah. Hahaha! You’ll find the recipe and procedure for making siomai wrappers in my Homemade Siomai entry. May susubukan pa akong isang klaseng dumpling wrapper. Abangan mo. Let’s cross our fingers for that one. Haha! :D Huwag ka ng maingay. Baka magising si bulilit at mapalo ka pa ni Jose. ;)

8. […] dumplings again. :D  I was very excited to try this, yesterday.  This is a lot simpler than the Turkey Dumplings I posted a week ago, in that you only need two key ingredients, shrimps and bamboo shoots.  The […]

9. munchies says:

Hello… :)

The receipe looks delicious. This makes me want to make some myself. May I know where you buy the dumpling wrappers from? Thks.. :)

Munchies

Hi Munchies! I buy the dumpling wrappers from the Asian supermarket. I just grab them from the freezer where they are displayed alongside dumplings, steamed buns, etc. :D