Mamon (Update!)

Happy Easter!  I hope you had a most meaningful Holy Week and a wonderful Easter celebration!  We sure did!

Remember these?

It’s my first batch of mamon.  I have made mamon 3 more times since.  While my first batch of mamon wasn’t bad at all, I felt there was something missing.  Fluffiness was one.  Another would be a Goldilocks-ish taste. :D

I mentioned before that I found anther mamon recipe, which I thought was promising.  And I was right.  It’s the recipe I used for my second batch of mamon…

Mamon No. 2

I got the recipe HERE.  Just as I had hoped, I got the Goldilocks-ish taste that I was looking for.  The  key ingredients that were missing from my first batch of mamon, as it turns out, were ORANGE and LEMON EXTRACTS and butter.  This time around, I made sure I brushed the tops of the mamons with melted butter, and dipped the tops in sugar.

Yesterday, I made yet another batch of mamon for dessert for an Easter lunch get-together.

Mamon No.3

For mamon no. 3, I went back to the first recipe that I used and tweaked it a little.  First, I substituted the vegetable oil with melted butter.  Second, I reduced the vanilla extract to 1/2 teaspoon and added 1/4 teaspoon each of Orange and Lemon extracts.

Here’s the rest of the updated recipe:

INGREDIENTS

1 cup cake flour
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon orange exract
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
6 eggs, seperated
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

DIRECTIONS

1.  Preheat oven to 350°F.
2.  Sift flour and baking powder in bowl; set aside.
3.  In a another large bowl, beat egg white and cream of tartar until meringue-like but not stiff.
4.  Gradually add sugar while beating. Then, add vanilla, orange and lemon extracts and melted butter.
5.  Add egg yolks one at a time and continue beating.
6.  Add cake flour and baking powder and continue mixing.
7.  Line muffin pans with paper cups and pour mixture about 2/3 full.
8.  Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Finished when toothpick comes out clean.

This is now my favorite recipe version amongst the 3. :) I don’t know if I just imagined it but the third batch seemed to be the fluffiest of the three.  Do you think substituting oil with butter had something to do with it? Hmmm….

It’s always a battle to just eat one piece of these goodies. But I don’t want to have to be reading diet pill reviews (much as I think I already should!) so I keep to a two-piece limit, which I figured, is equivalent to the size of a regular Goldilocks mamon.  Hee hee!

Comments

27 Responses to “Mamon (Update!)”

1. ing says:

yah… the 3rd one looks much better. i tried this one and it was nice. now, i’ll try it again with your mammon 3 recipe.
    can i use lemon and orange juice instead of the extracts?
    tnx.
    ingat… :p

Hi Ing! I did a little research so I can give you an informed answer about your question. Lemon extract (and I guess orange extract, too!) is much stronger than lemon juice. Even if you substitute all the liquid requirements in the recipe with lemon juice, you might still not get the same result that lemon extract would give. A better alternative is to use the grated rind of one or two lemons. ;) Another think you can do is to take lemon juice concentrate and boil it down with a bit of sugar.

Have you received your price yet? I hope you already have as it’s been so long already! :) Good luck on your mamon adventure! ;)

2. tigerfish says:

I have had sponge cake but did not know that there was this Mamom “version”

tigerfishs last blog post..Shrimp Crackers, or cute name Krupuk

Hi Tigerfish! The Philippine version of sponge cake is referred to as “mamon”. Have you had the chance to try some? They’re very good, specially the ones from Goldilocks and Red Ribbon, two of the Philippines’ most popular bakeshops. ;)

3. Yay! Thanks for sharing this. I love mamon but there’s no place near me that sells it (unless I order from Goldilocks over the Internet). I’m bookmarking this now so that I’ll be sure to make it.

Tangled Noodles last blog post..Easter Unmasked

Hi Tangled Noodle! I think the Filipino store a short drive from where we are sells Goldilocks mamon. But I can’t bring myself to buy some because I’m too much of a tightwad. Hee hee. So I just make my own. ;) Let me know when you finally get the chance to make mamon. I’d love to read/hear about it! :)

4. Ebie says:

I haven’t tried your recipe #1 as promised, but was saving it for another time. Now that you have perfected #3, I will definitely try this. Maybe I will use the molds I got from the Phils., which we closely relate to “torta” mold, just like brioche mold.

Ebies last blog post..Quick Post: Page Rank

Hi Ebie! I wouldn’t say I “perfected” it! Hahaha! :D I’m asking my Mom to bring me all the different kinds of molds I need for baking/steaming…mamon, puto, etc. :) I think brioche molds are worthy substitutes for mamon molds. Let me know how your mamons turn out! :)

5. Manang says:

you know what? I was also thinking about that lemon extract (just a hint of it)…

kakaaliw naman yang 3 times mo ginawa to finally find the perfect recipe for you! Isn’t it funny how sometimes some recipe and ideas on how to tweak it just keeps nagging you…di ka mapakali hangga’t di mo nata-try…sometimes you just know it would work out…

thanks for this updated mamon post! Will try this again soon (after ko gumawa na siopao siguro)…I always tend to look for something to grab and take to work for merienda…mamon is definitely one of those grab n go foodsies.

Manangs last blog post..Special Mamon (mala-Goldilocks)

Hi Manang! You don’t know how much time I spent looking at different recipes for mamon. Hee hee! I even expanded my search to include French Sponge Cakes because that’s how Goldilocks describes their mamon. Maybe that’s what I’ll do next…French Sponge Cakes. ;)

I’ve made mamon a total of 4 times already! Hahaha! And I might make some again when I come to my daughter’s school to talk about Philippine culture. Talk about bribing kids with treats! :D

Siopao is also on my list of food “to make”! Hopfully, I’ll get around to it in the next week or so. Thanks for linking my first mamon post to your blog, by the way! Your fans have been visiting my site. Hee hee! :D

6. Jigi says:

hi, i tried your updated version last night and as much as i just wanted to tweak on the flavourings and the butter instead of the oil, here comes my nosey husband who took over my whole baking pleasure… but mind you, it turned out so well… here is the link and when you have the time, let me know how it suits you but i reckon it was so moist and fluffy that it did come close to goldilocks mamon hahahaha

Jigi

Jigis last blog post..Mamon Revised!

7. […] …Mamon (Filipino Sponge Cake), so the kids and their teachers could sample one of our favorite snacks from the Philippines. […]

8. Hi! I have been wanting to make mamon, goldilocks-style. Thanks for generously sharing your recipes, along with detailed explanations. I will try it one of these days. :)
    .-= phenomenal woman´s last blog ..Follow Your Nose =-.

9. Kristen says:

I made this today and it was AWESOME =DD I just have one question! At what stage did you top the mamon with sugar to give it that pretty effect in the pictures? I want to try that next time. =]

Hi Kristen! I’m glad your mamon turned out to be a success! :) I dip the mamon tops in sugar about 10 minutes after I take them out of the oven. :) Thanks for dropping by!

10. Lynda says:

Hi, I was just wondering if you knew of a book with a recipe of mamons? I want to cook these in school, but I need to be able to reference an actual book. ( but i’ll add in the changes you have written :P) i just need to be able to reference a book
    thanks :)

11. bonzai says:

hi i just want to say that i am so happy i happen to ran across your blog.. i actually make pound cakes and what i did was with a slightly different set of ingredients, i combined your technique and altered my preparation of pound cake. i also tweaked it with your suggestions of lemon and orange extract. and well i can say that wow.. it made a hell of a lot difference. it was like i bought the pound cake from red ribbon.. thanks again :)

12. Marjorie says:

Hi! I just want to say thank you so much for this great recipe. Been searching all over the net for a good recipe and came across yours. First time i baked mamon using your recipe and it was a hit. My husband who is very metikuloso liked it very much and shared it to my colleague at work as well. After her first bite, she sent me an email expressing how yummy it was and ordered a dozen!!!

Thanks again and God Bless!

13. Gani V says:

Do you have the Red Ribbon version of the Mamon?
    Please send it to my email.
    Thanks so much!

Gani V

14. Karen says:

I think I tried the same recipe you had for the 1st one & I have the same problem. But the 3rd one was definitely yummy I have to stop myself from eating so much. Thank you so much for the recipe :)

15. inday says:

Good day!
    Thanks for this recipe uv shared..hope u could share also a moist chocolate cake or mousse cake..
    Thanks!

16. Joanne says:

I’m gonna make this for my daughter’s bday party. How is this after the 3rd day. Was it still good? I was thinking of making ahead when I have more free time. Not sure if you had any left overs for that long. And how many cupcakes did this recipe yield? Thank you

Hi Joanne! I am so sorry for the late reply. These are still good after 3 days as long as you keep them in an air-tight container. I believe you can get about 24 pcs of mamon with this recipe.

Again, my apologies for the overly delayed reply.

17. Jade says:

Hi.. can i replace lemon and orange with fresh calamansi exteact? IF ever, ilan po measurement?

Hi Jade! I honestly haven’t tried fresh calamansi extract. I did a little research and found that the best substitute for lemon extract is lemon zest – about 2 tsps for every teaspoon of extract. Just be sure to only grate the yellow parts. :)