Teeny Tiny Turon (Banana Spring Rolls)

Some days ago, we had bananas waiting so desperately to be eaten.  Instead of taking my usual “save-the-bananas, bake-banana-muffins” route, I decided to make something that will give me a taste of home.  Turon! Turon is otherwise known as banana fritters or banana spring rolls.  Then again, I only had 3″ square wonton wrappers in the freezer.  Did you think that stopped me?  Of course, not!  I went ahead and made cutesy turon.  Hee hee.  Oh, these aren’t exactly Philippine turon in that they are not covered with caramelized sugar.  I simply springled powdered sugar on them.  I thought I was entitled to shortcuts every now and then. ;)

INGREDIENTS

3 bananas cut into 1/4″ slices
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
oil for deep frying
powdered sugar for dusting

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Combine banana slices, sugar and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.

2.  Fill wonton wrappers with the banana mixture and roll as you would a spring roll or lumpia.

Or, if  you’re not going for the spring roll look anyway and want to get as much filling in there as possible, just fold the wonton wrappers as you would dumplings. That is, taking one corner (for square wonton wrappers) or edge (for round wonton wrappers) and folding it in half.

3.  Deep fry until light brown.

4.  Drain in paper towels and dust with powdered sugar.

You can also substitute the bananas with apple slices.  No more rotten apples! :)

Quick.  Sweet.  Easy. ;)
Plantain on Foodista

oOo

Believe it or not, I always got my fill of this snack from street vendors. :D  And I never seemed to have a problem, thank God! Now I have to make these myself as the other alternative (flying back home with travel medical insurance to boot!) is insanely impractical and expensive.  Hahaha!

Plantain on Foodista

Comments

100 Responses to “Teeny Tiny Turon (Banana Spring Rolls)”

1. darrhel says:

Wow, those are awesome! I love the creative liberties you took on a long-established Philippine delicacy. What other culinary twists are you concocting?

This made me actually want to make “abang” for that “Manang” who sells banana cues and turons! :D

Hi Darrhel! Thank you! Credit for the creative liberties actually go to one of my recipe books. You know what I’m craving for right now? Pastillas de leche! I’m just gathering enough strength for the constant stirring it requires. I don’t want the powdered milk kind of pastillas. :D Let’s see where this craving will lead me. Hahaha! :) Thanks for dropping by!

darrhel Reply:

Yes, pastillas would be equally awesome! Good luck with that. Or yema with nuts and/or pinipig.

I am so going to the grocery right now.

2. Akash says:

it’s something coolllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it tastes awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Akash! Why, thank you! :)

3. Murtaza. Soni says:

I am a person who enjoys my food more according to the texture of the food rather than taste.

For example, I love to eat Milk powder by licking it with my tongue. Like the taste that it leaves in the mouth that way. There is a shop near my house which sells these small granular cheese balls. I’m a regular buyer from the shop. I love the granular balls rolling on my tongue. Every once in a while I open my refrigerator and pop an ice-cube in my mouth. Love cracking the ice-cube with my teeth.

These Banana Spring Rolls look amazingly crispy. Would be a lot of fun biting into it. Again, loved the dish more because of the texture than the taste. :-)

Life can be Crispy!!!!!!

THE PHENOMENON CALLED LIFE THROUGH MY COLLECTION OF SHORT STORIES .. http://lifeshortstory.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/who-is-luckier/

4. audrey says:

Detailed and simple recipe. They look easy to do. Hope they really are easy. BTW, may recipe ka rin ba ng lahat ng pictures na nasa taas? Hope they’re as easy as banana spring rolls.

audreys last blog post..Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater Computer Game

Hi Audrey! These really are simple and easy! Yes, I do have the corresponding recipe for each of the photos on my header: Baked Salmon Fillets, Banana Pudding, Spam Musubi, Leche Flan, Steamed Turkey Dumplings, Cocoa Crinkle Cookies, Sweet and Sour Fish. They are all fairly easy to do. Some are just a bit more tedious than the others. :) Thank you for the visit! :)

5. zsa zsa says:

Wow, I loooove turon! Thanks for sharing the recipe! =)

zsa zsas last blog post..What every coffee lover should have

Hi Zsa Zsa! Living abroad made me appreciate Philippine food and snacks that I sometimes just take for granted. :) Thank you for dropping by and you’re welcome! :)

6. Kket says:

Hello. What kind of oil do you use?

Hi Kket! I used canola oil. :) Thanks for the visit!

7. theo says:

These are Filipino. They call them lumpia

Hi Theo! You are right! These are Filipino and they can also be called Banana Lumpia. :) Thank you for dropping by!

8. motengator says:

I stumbled across this page and my stomach refused to let me leave. It looks absolutely fabulous.

Hi Motengator! Thank you for saying the banana spring rolls look fabulous…and for dropping by! :) Cheers!

9. deepikaur says:

I just stumbled across this page, and want to make some of these soooo badly RIGHT NOW! I have everything, except wonton wraps, which I’ve never seen or heard of. Not even sure if any of the local grocers (WalMart, Kroger, Meijer) would carry them.. Is there anything I could use instead?

Great recipe! Bookmarking your site in case you do write about any other quick and easy recipes. ;)

Hi Deepikaur! Pressure, pressure! Hee hee! Our local supermarket here in Texas, HEB, has wonton wrappers. There’s a good chance your local grocers might, too, although I haven’t had the chance to check out WalMart. I usually buy mine at the Asian supermarket and very rarely do I buy from the local grocery. What you can use as substitute for the wonton wrappers is Phyllo. However, instead of frying the banana spring rolls, bake them instead. I read that pasta sheets make for good wonton wrapper substitute as well. ;)

Good luck to you! Thank you so much for dropping by! :)

10. Regina says:

I had something so similar once at a chinese chain restaurant (PF Chang) and ever since have been in love with them. But until now never thought of making them myself. I have to try them out; you make it look easy! Wish me luck!

Reginas last blog post..Explanations, Reviews, and Recipes!

Hi Regina! But they are really easy to make! That I promise you! :) See, now you don’t have to go back to PF Chang to have these treats. You can make ’em yourself! Good luck and thank you for the visit! :)

11. ace says:

That looks yummy!

Hi Ace! I have to say, it is yummy! Hee hee! :) Thanks for the visit! :D

12. MaddyLane says:

Love this ffod blog, its most inpsiring, for my specialty is more making eco decor, and this was such a fabulous find, now I know what to make for my family tonight, thank you.
    Love your pictures too, well done!

Hi MaddyLane! Thank you so much for the kind comment and for dropping by! :)

13. UK Foodie says:

These look great, I’d serve with lashings of syrup!

Hi UK Foodie! Syrup sounds good! Yum! :D

14. Mica says:

OMG, this is so cute! I’m going to make this when family comes over to visit. I’m tired of preparing the usual Dutch pica pica! Thaaaanks! I have been thinking of simple things to make for in-laws na they don;t get culture shock. These tiny turons are the solution to my problem! :-)

Hi Mica! It’s so thoughtful of you to want to prepare simple things for your in-laws. We actually have a lot of simple finger foods and snacks that I’m sure your in-laws will enjoy. Good luck!

15. Mia says:

This looks so wonderful! I went down to a local Super H Mart and picked up some spring roll wrappers and bananas and am going to make up some today! Thank you so much for posting this recipe! :)

Hi Mia! Thank you! Did you get to make them? I look forward to hearing how they turned out.

Thanks for the visit! :)

16. beadbooty says:

I must try these…they look heavenly!
    .-= beadbooty´s last blog ..Crystal and Sterling Silver Anklet Ankle Bracelet =-.

Hi Beadbooty! I encourage you to try it. You just might like it! :)

17. Alisa says:

I stumbled upon this post and I have to say that is the cutest thing ever! I’d love to guide our readers to your site if you won’t mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it’s all set to go, Thanks!
    .-= Alisa´s last blog ..Strawberry and Goat Cheese Pavlova =-.

Hi Alisa! Thank you! I finally got around to adding the Foodista widget to this post. Thanks again! :)

18. MO says:

What kind of oil do you deep fry them in?

Hi MO! I use canola oil for deep frying. :)

19. dang says:

hello weng. happy birthday ulkit ke abby..kakagawa ko lang din ng turon..naisip ko nga na mas maliit pa ata ang nagawa ko sa nagawa mo..pero i used plantain at brown sugar sa loob bago ko balutin. at ang wrapper ko eh dala pa ng mother in law ko from pinas..!ill try to sprinkle with confect. sugar next time..thanks for this..!:)

20. Fashay says:

I made these last night they were great I love these. Thanks

Hi Fashay! I’m glad you loved these banana spring rolls! Thanks for taking the time to let me know. :)

21. CJ says:

I just made these tonight & they are simple & delicious! But how do you fold the wantons to make them look so neat? Mine are all different shapes

Hi CJ! Isn’t it great that something so simple can turn out so delicious?! To keep the wantons looking neat, I try to avoid overfilling them with the bananas and I just fold and wrap the wantons around the bananas tightly. That’s pretty much it. :) Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing about readers’ experiences when they try the recipes I share. :)

22. Joy says:

Thank you so much for this recipe….yummy! I have dipped them in Caramel dip and marshmallow dip….they are addictive though! Special treat for the children.

23. steve says:

I’m American,but I date a Filipino girl,and I love trying all the new Filipino dishes. I’ll certainly have to give these a shot,as they look fabulous …

24. Arjun says:

Using brown sugar instead of white/granulated sugar makes a BIG difference!

Also, after all of your Turon have been fried, add some oil and brown sugar to a skillet to allow for a sugar glaze on the outside too!

Here are some pictures:

25. oh my gosh!!
    you made my day.
    my friends mom used to make these all the time and i was always curious how she did it.
    these look delicious. thanks for bringing back great memories and giving an awesome recipe!! :)

26. Jack says:

Made these for dessert tonight. They were perfectly tasty. Going to make these next week for my family when i visit them and make some dulce de luche to put on top of them. Absolutely amazing.

Hi Jack! I’m glad you liked the mini turon! :) Thanks for dropping me a note! :)

27. Julie says:

Can’t wait to try these tomorrow for the family:) thanks for the easy recipe!

28. […] gorgeous looking dishes caught my eye: banana and chocolate filo baked parcels from Mammasaurus and banana turon from Cafe […]

29. Midzol says:

Is it possible to replace the wonton wrappers with rice paper (spring roll) wrappers?