Crab Rangoon

Crab Rangoon is one of our favorite appetizers, my daughter’s specially.  It’s food that is sure to keep my daughter on her seat and she could devour several pieces very quickly.  At the noodle house we frequent, these are called Crab Puffs.  It may also sometimes be referred to as Crab and Cream Cheese Fried Won Tons.

I cheated a little and used imitation crab to make these.  You may also substitute the crab with cooked shrimps. ;)  I got the recipe from my favorite dim sum recipe book.

INGREDIENTS:

1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese (softened)
1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
1 cup chopped crab meat (or chopped cooked shrimp meat)
1/8 cup chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
won ton wrappers
oil for frying

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place cream cheese in a bowl and allow to soften for an hour.  Then add remaining filling ingredients.

2.  Combine filling ingredients thoroughly.

3.  Place 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of wrapper.

4.  Moisten the edges of the wrapper and fold in the shape of a triangle (or crescent of using round won ton wrappers), pressing to seal.

Alternatively, you can wrap them this way:  Pick two opposite corners of the wrapper and seal like so….

Then pick up the two other corners and seal them to look like this…

5.  Deep fry won tons until golden brown.  Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite Sweet and Sour or Sweet Chili sauce.

One word of caution though, the won tons will balloon when you put them in the pan of hot oil,  so press them down with your tongs for a few seconds before putting another piece in the pan.  Do the same when you flip them over.  Keep them down for a few seconds before proceeding to flip the other pieces.

This is the finished product…

And this is how the pouches looked…

Noticed how some parts of the won tons ballooned?  We didn’t really care though.  Hee hee. :D

Crab Rangoon is now perennially on request here at home.  It’s always fun to be able to enjoy food we order from restaurants in our very own home…at a much reasonable price. ;)

Comments

18 Responses to “Crab Rangoon”

1. YankeeScents says:

Those look great! Printing this for the next time I have a leftover lobster or two. :-) Thanks!

Hi YankeeScents! Lobster rangoon sounds so good! Hee hee! You’re welcome and thanks, too…for the visit. :D

2. ate myra says:

Rowena,

It’s so much tastier with real crab meat. I use one container of the canned crab. This is a favorite amongst our crowd as well!

Hi Ate Myra! I know, I know this will taste so much better with crab meat. So I’m adding canned crab to my grocery list. :) *mwah*

3. That’s looks like a yummy dish. Thanks for sharing the step by step procedure.

Rach (Heart of Rachel)s last blog post..Yohanism #31

Hi Rach. As much as I possibly can, I include a step-by-step photo tutorial of sorts. But it’s quite difficult to play the roles of chef and photographer at the same time. Hahaha!

4. tin says:

bookmarked this one, again! i’m still recovering from cough and cold but as soon as i’m 100% well, i’ll prepare this. i’ll let you know. :) thanks, weng!

Hi Tin! I’m sorry it took me so long to reply. I hope you’re 100% well now. I look forward to hearing about how your crab rangoon turns out…if and when you get the chance to make these. :) Be safe and healthy always! *mwah*

5. Love crab rangoon! And what do you know? I have all the ingredients already – now I know what we’ll be eating this weekend!

Tangled Noodles last blog post..Sandwiched in Gratitude

Hi Tangled Noodle! So, did you really make these last weekend? Hee hee. :)

6. Jen says:

Thanks for the step by step procedure and illustration..will try making this sometime =)

Jens last blog post..Eddoes doesn’t have to be the mystery food.

Hi Jen! You’re welcome and thank you also for dropping by. :)

gagawin ko ito! yey! favorite namin ni ninna ito :D

Hi Mee! Post mo sa myparty ha, pag nakagawa ka na! :) *mwah*

8. Thanks for your reply! And yes, I did make it – or rather, something like it! I chickened out of frying at the last moment (the calories, you know!) so I ended up steaming them instead. First, I used some fresh ricotta in place of the cream cheese and instead of crab, I decided to use some smoked salmon.

On second thought, I guess I didn’t make crab rangoon at all! 8-O But I still love them!!

Tangled Noodles last blog post..Noshing on Nostalgia

9. tin says:

i bought a pack of lumpia wrapper today, i forgot that i need wonton wrapper instead! waah. i’ll still try to make ’em this week. :)

tins last blog post..My New Addiction

10. Camille says:

I will try this, mukhang super sarap (ginugutom na tuloy ako). Tamang tama pang fridays of Lent.

Camille, correct ka! Masarap at madali! Damihan mo ang gawa at magiging super hit ito sa tatlo mong alaga. :P