Sago’t Gulaman (Tapioca Pearls & Jelly)

*This is entry #46 for Lasang Pinoy, Sundays (La.Pi.S.)*

This week’s theme for Lasang Pinoy, Sundays is “Shades of Spring  and Summer”.  So what are the shades of spring and summer?  Personally, I think it’s quite colorful actually, with red, green, purple, yellow, white and brown all accounted for. ;) And all these colors come together in one of the Philippines’ most popular thirst quenchers, Sago’t Gulaman (Tapioca Pearls and Jelly or Agar Agar).

I just love this drink, specially when paired with a native Philippine snack or kakanin…bibingka, sapin-sapin, puto, palitaw.  Oooh, I just might make one of these kakanins before the day is over.  Funny how I can make my very own self crave for food.  I am really my own worst enemy, when it comes to food, specially!

Here’s the recipe for this drink…

INGREDIENTS

2 cups of dark brown sugar plus 2.5 cups of water for the arnibal (simple syrup of water and brown sugar)
tapioca pearls
1 bar of gulaman (agar-gar or jelly)
water
shaved ice

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Cook the bar of gulaman: Tear the bar of gulaman into several pieces then add to a pot of 2.5 cups of boiling water.  Stir until the gulaman melts.  Then transfer to molds (I used a 9-inch diameter baking pan.)  Don’t forget to strain the pot of melted gulaman!  Refrigerate then allow the gulaman to set.  Once set, slice into small pieces.  Set aside.

2.  Make the arnibal:  Boil 2.5 cups of water.  When it comes to a boil, add the brown sugar and stir until all the sugar is melted and the syrup thicken.  Set aside.

3.  Cook the tapioca according to package instructions.  Set aside. The tapioca I bought cooks in just five minutes (although I think 7-8 minutes would have been better!).

4.  Prepare the shaved ice.

Now, you’re ready to put them all together!

6.  In a pitcher of water, add some arnibal according to your desired sweetness.  Set aside.

7.  Layer the gulaman and tapioca pearls in a tall glass then add some of the arnibal-sweetened water.  Then add some shaved ice.

8.  Finally, fill the glass with some more of the sweetened water.  After admiring your handy work, stir and drink. ;)

This is almost a snack itself.

Colorful. Filling.  Refreshing. :)

Have a wonderful weekend, y’all!  Cheers!

Comments

37 Responses to “Sago’t Gulaman (Tapioca Pearls & Jelly)”

1. ces says:

love the colors of your pearls!:) where’d you get them? hey, you can post this pic on LaPiS FB:)…suggestion lang naman po iyon:) and now i want sagulaman and bananaQ!:) for snacks!

cess last blog post..Lasang Pinoy, Sundays: Shades of Spring and Summer

Hi Ces! I got the pearls from the Asian market. Baka meron jan sa inyo! :) Why did you have to mention Banana Q? Ugh! Saan ako magnanakaw ng saging na saba? But i have camote? Camote Q na lang kaya? :D

2. hazel sales-domingo says:

hi Weng!!!
    I truly admire your creativity…how you present your foodies… Idol! With the sago gulaman, I love putting banana flavor on the arnibal… And use almond jelly…mmmm!
    Take care!!!

Hi Hazel! What a pleasant surprise! Thank you for dropping by. If I don’t have to post photos here, I don’t know if I’ll be able to get as creative. Hahaha!. The hubs and the little girl are so used already to the drill: photoshoot first before digging in. Hee hee. :D I wanted to add flavors to the arnibals but since it’s only the first time I was making it, I wanted the “pure” version muna. Next time, I’ll go wild with the flavors. Haha! :)

3. iska says:

I wonder where I can buy tapioca pearls…
    That looks so refreshing… though I must admit I’d be freezing cold here after having that!

iskas last blog post..Garlic Tiger Prawns – Shades of Spring and Summer

Hi Iska! Try checking out your local Asian market for the tapioca pearls. :) Oo nga pala, it’s winter at your end. Pero alam mo, for some reason, we crave a lot of cold goodies during winter, like ice cream! So we give in, freezing temps notwithstanding. :D

4. miriam says:

sago’t gulaman is yummy! those are vibrant summer colors — tapioca pearls, red gulaman, brown sugar.

Hi Miriam! I always buy the colorless tapioca pearls. But two of my friends used this particular kind of pearls to make sago’t gulaman and ginataang halo-halo. I thought I’d grab a pack for myself the last time we were at the Asian market and use them for my shades of spring and summer entry. :D

5. FoodieJenn says:

Ay naman, ultimate Pinoy summer drink ito! Hmmm, gusto ko nito!

My LaPiS entry for this week is right here. Please visit it if you have the time. Happy weekends!

FoodieJenns last blog post..Shades of Spring and Summer

Hi FoodieJenn! It’s spring here but it’s already starting to feel like summer, so it’s as if we’re both experiencing the same season. Haha! And because I can’t fly back home for a tall glass of Pinas’ summer coolers, I thought I’d bring them to my home instead. :)

6. raquel says:

like iska, i will probably freeze too after drinking that! but….it looks so delicious baka pweden na rin. mag winter jacket na lang ako while enjoying sago at gulaman! LOL

Hi Raquel! Have one when your house has already been comfortably warmed by the heater. Haha! Winter doesn’t stop me from enjoying ice cream! :D Tigas ng ulo ano? Hee hee!

7. maver says:

idol ka talaga weng. yung entries ko, binili ko lang eh, hehehe! they’re up here, btw:

happy lapis!

mavers last blog post..La.Pi.S #43: SHADES OF SPRING AND SUMMER

Hi Maver! Wala naman kasi akong mabibilhan dito ng sago’t gulaman. Well, meron siguro pero i’m much too kuripot to do so! Hahaha!

8. Lynn says:

This is also good to serve at kiddie parties. Cute ng colors ng tapioca pearls.

Lynns last blog post..Flapjacks’ Halo-Halo

Hi Lynn! I totally agree with you. You can have a sago’t gulaman station! ;)

9. Maricel says:

I boil the syrup with pandan leaves for added flavor and also add a few drops of the Chinese type of banana extract when I mix up the sugar syrup and water. Yum, really refreshing in our scorching summers. My kids also like the black sago better because of its chewier texture

Hi Maricel! My daughter loves any kind of sago. Hahaha! She associates the black ones with boba tea. :) Even before we moved to Texas, my daughter was already a big sago and gulaman fan. Next time I make this, I’ll be more adventurous with the flavors. :)

10. i love sago’t gulaman but im more on sago kaya when i crave for this, i buy more sago and less gulaman

my entry is here

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
    Salamat sa pagbisita :)

Jay – Agent112778s last blog post..La.Pi.S # 46 : Shades of Summer

Hi Jay! I also love sago kaya when I buy pearl drinks in Pinas, I always pay for the extra pearls. :D

11. gmirage says:

Ay…ang ganda hihi….pangsummer talaga! Pretty pa ng kulay ng sago hihi…

gmirages last blog post..Shades of Summer and Spring

Hi G! Pretty nga ng sago ano? Hahaha! :)

Oohlala!!! I want a glass…NOW! :D

Pinkys last blog post..LaPiS: Shades of Spring and Summer

Hi Pinks! Go ahead and make some. I know someone who’ll be very happy when you do. Kakaiwan lang ng comment sa FB link ko about how he loves this….unless it was you who left that comment. Hahaha!

13. JMom says:

Now this one, we can make at home. My girls love anything with gulaman. They were so glad when we finally had a couple of places nearby that sold bobas :)

I found banana flavoring while in California last year and this really made our sago’t gulaman take off. Can’t wait to make this again.

Hi JMom! My daughter loves bobas! Kaya lang ang mahal, diba? E magkano lang ang isang pack ng sago? Hahaha! I have to use banana flavore/essence the next time I make sago’t gulaman. That’s what all of you seem to be doing! :)

14. That’s a refreshing drink. I love the colorful sago pearls.

Rach (Heart of Rachel)s last blog post..Red Wine Apple With Ice-Cream

Hi Rach! Sago’t gulaman is a classic Filipino refreshment. Hindi kumpleto ang beverage list ng Filipino resto kung wala niyan, diba? Hahaha! I love the colorful sago, too! :D

15. Mary Grace says:

I stumbled unto your blog and smiled when I saw Turon! Then I looked at some more and found more yummy pinoy foods! =) Very nice food blog.

Sincerely,
    Mary Grace

Mary Graces last blog post..A little over a week…

banana essence, weng! next time lagyan mo, yun naman ang secret ng aking mga ninuno hehehe! if you can’t find it sa asian, pwede rin banana flavoring. :)

17. Balbon says:

how many servings can you make with this recipe?

Hi Balbon! I am so sorry it took me forever to reply to your comment! Forgive me. :D You can make about a gallon and a half, a conservative estimate. :)

Thanks for dropping by!

18. clarissa joy torres says:

i would like to ask if how many serving does this recipe makes? need for our catering activity at school. thanks.

Hi Clarissa! Sorry for the very late reply. I believe this recipe can yield at least 10 glasses of sago’t gulaman. Thanks for dropping by! :)

19. Mark says:

Hi there, I’ve got everything almost right but the syrup always seem to raste bitter for me! Please help

HI Mark! I am so terribly sorry for this long overdue reply. Summer break has kept me as busy as ever. Now, to answer your question, if, as you say, you’ve got everything almost right, the only reason I can think of as to why the syrup tastes bitter is you’re probably overcooking it. I would suggest cooking the syrup at a shorter time than you normally do or giving the syrup a taste every now and then. Just be very careful as the syrup is very very hot! So be sure to let it cool a little before tasting it! :)

Do let me know please how it goes! Cheers and thanks for leaving a comment!