Spring-y Cake

“I’ll be yours in springtime when the flowers are in bloom.
We’ll wander through the meadows, in all their sweet perfume.
And every night I’ll hold you tight beneath that April moon.”

Come on, tell me you know this song or have at least heard it?  It’s called “Girl for All Seasons” from the movie Grease 2 released in 1982. I didn’t get to watch it until around 1987 or 1988 though when I was in 6th grade.  Anyway, these words kept playing in my head when I made this spring-y cake two days ago…

Easy on the criticism now! :)  It’s a chocolate cake with strawberry filling and buttercream frosting.  I, uhm, used a store-bought cake mix but did some minor tweaking.  I substituted the water requirement with fresh milk.  I would have preferred chocolate milk but I didn’t have any.  The vegetable oil, on the other hand, I substituted with butter. :)

Here’s a top view of the cake…

I know, the victorian roses don’t quite look like the way they’re supposed, too.  Hee hee.  The white spots you see on the top, I suspect, are due to the fact that I didn’t sift the powdered sugar.

Here’s the left side…

A closer look at the flowers…

And here’s the right side…

A closer look at the bird and the flowers…

All the flowers and the birds were made many days ago.  They’re of royal icing.  Only a few leaves, the small ones, are buttercream and used to fill gaps between the flowers.

This was the first time I ever tried doing a basketweave, which explains the crooked lines. I used a  Tip 21 rope border for the top and base of the cake.

There are 7 different kinds of flowers on the cake: victorian rose, daffodil, daisy, pansy, apple blossom, violet, chrysanthemum and primrose.  Can you tell which is which?

Colorful.  Yummy.  Spring-y. :D

oOo

After I took photos of the cakes, I immediately divided the cake into quarters and gave a quarter of the cake each to friends.  I had to share the calories! :)  There was no way I’m going to keep the entire cake here at home and risk gobbling it all up.  I certainly don’t want to buy Nuphedra any time soon.  Much as I need it.  Hahaha!  Kidding. :D

Comments

28 Responses to “Spring-y Cake”

1. iRaw says:

Your cake is beautiful!

iRaws last blog post..Wacky Wednesday

Hi iRaw! Thank you! :)

2. mEldita says:

Ang galing! galing!!!! Pwede na mag cake business :)

mElditas last blog post..WS ChikaTuesday: Commitment

Hi Mel! Kaunti pang dagdag ng kaalaman bago mag cake business. Hahaha! Thanks, thanks! :)

3. lori says:

di lang maganda masarap pa…how lucky we are that you’re our neighbor indeed :D. (ala jar jar ata dating neto a) hehe so keep it coming…di man lng umabot ng after dinner dessert eto hapon pa lang ubos na :D. love it! yung coffee cake mo sinolo ko na haha. thanks again so so much!

Hi Lors! Talaga, I’ll keep ’em coming. I’m always looking for an excuse to bake. Basta ha, tulad nga ng sabi ko sayo dati, huwag mong tataguan ang mga delivery people ko! Hahaha! You’re welcome and thank you, too! Mas masarap yung dinelive rmo dito! Favorite ni D ang mga bittersweet na chocolate! *mwah*

4. Mimi says:

Weng, ang galing mo ng magbake at magdecorate, too! I’m really very proud of you! Sayang di pwede maipadala by mail. :-)

Hi Mimi! Awww, thank you! Don’t worry, you’ll soon be able to taste my baked goodies. ;) Magsasawa ka! Love you! *mwah*

ang ganda!! (and i’m sure, ang sarap! hehe!) career na ba talaga ang cake decorating? basta i want to be able to say that i know you personally, just in case magkaroon ka na ng sariling show sa foodnetword, haha! love it! :D

Hi Mee! I don’t know about the career bit. Pero given the chance and if God wills it, why not? Naks! FoodNetwork ka diyan! Hahaha! Love it, din! :P Libre mangarap! :D

6. CalmYoSelf says:

Wow; that’s awesome! I wonder if you could incorporate some kind of edible “handle” to make it look like a picnic basket? Lol, maybe that’s too much? :)

It looks beautiful as is though!

CalmYoSelfs last blog post..Fire Alarm Jam Session

Hi CalmYoSelf! Thank you, thank you! :) I do know it’s possible to incorporate something edible for the handle. I just don’t possess the skills to make them. Hahaha. Sugar artists can make the handle out of melted sugar. I’m thinkin’ licorice is a possibility, too! Hee hee.

7. m.a.c says:

hi..cafemunchkin is one of my favorite website!…i wish f u can give the recipe of your “spring y cake”it looks so yummy…yummy.i tried already the mammon…my kids & my hubby love it so much!everday he wants me to make the mammon…its so delicious naman kasi.my friends also love it!!

HI M.A.C.! Thank you for saying that Cafe Munchkin is one of your favorite websites. That warms and fills my heart. :) For this cake, I just used a boxed cake mix, Duncan Hines’ Dark Chocolate Fudge. But I substituted the water with milk and the vegetable oil with butter. :) You’ll find the buttercream frosting recipe HERE. I;m happy to hear that your family loved the mamon. We are crazy about them as well! :) Thank you for dropping by!

8. maver says:

OMG, idol!!! Penk Weng. Hehehe!

mavers last blog post..WS FAB FINDS THURSDAYS #1: COMMITMENT

Hi Maver! Thank you! Hindi ko yata na-get yung “Penk”. Sorry slow ha! Hindi naman siguro “pink” kasi “feach” yung cake eh. Hahaha! :P

maver Reply:

Penk Weng ala Penk Ching of Pastri Bin, cake artist of the stars. Hehehe!

mavers last blog post..I, MOTHER

Maver! Naisip ko rin yun! Hahaha! May mental lapses din ako minsan. Hahaha!

9. Judi says:

Beautiful!! Bet you didn’t want to cut it.

Judis last blog post..Win a Garden Apron

Hi Judi! Thank you! After I take photos, I’m happy to cut cakes into slices…so I can share the calories with my friends. Hahaha! :D

10. OMG that cake is beautiful, the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.
    I could just gobble that cake up right now, I bet it’s delicious.
    Nice blog, I am enjoying it, keep up the good work. :)

Jeunelle Fosters last blog post..TwtAds

Hi Jeunelle! Thank you so much for the kind words. :) I used a Duncan Hines cake mix for this but it was delicious. :) I hope you can drop by again some time. Cheers!

11. Who’s criticizing? This is beautiful! My birthday is coming up . . . (hint!)

Tangled Noodles last blog post..Noshing on Nostalgia

Hi Tangled Noodle! I guess I’m just too paranoid. Hahaha! You know how blogging can often invite criticisms specially siince it’s food we’re talking about here. Hahaha! When’s your birthday?! :D

12. Jen says:

Ang cute naman ng cake mo..Makes me want to try and bake one too =)

Jens last blog post..Salted pig tails as comfort food?

Hi Jen! Thank you! :) I hope you find the time to try baking. :) Thanks for dropping by!

13. Sarah says:

Ngayon ko lang nakita ito Weng — very good job!!! Di ganyan ang itsura ng cake ko dati! hahaha It was all runny (kasi I used French Buttercream, instead of the Wilton recipe). Sayang di umabot dito yung cake taste test! hehehe So, start na ulit ng course 3? ;)

Hi Sarah! What a pleasant surprise! First time mo yata nagcomment. Hee hee. :) Thank you, thank you…coming from a cake decorating expert, that means a lot. :) I always use the Wilton recipe para walang sisihan pag palpak yung icing. Hahaha! Nag-start na ang Course 3 ko last Wednesday. ;) I’m looking forward to this coming Wednesday. :) Naku, nga pala, I only used Duncan Hines for this Spring Cake. Mas masarap ang cakes mo! Yun ang gusto kong matikman! :)