Foraying into Fondant (Part 2)

As promised, here’s part 2 of my first 2 forays into fondant.  Part 1 is just an entry down. To continue…

Yesterday, exactly a week after my first fondant cake, I kneaded and rolled fondant away with renewed vigor.  I was not about to give up!  My second foray into fondant was a little ambitious.  It’s a 2-tier cake.  This time, however, I decided to stick to white fondant to cover the two cakes and used colored fondant only for the decorations.

My heart sank when I encountered the very same problem that I had last week.  I don’t know if it’s the indoor temperature or if I didn’t knead the fondant enough or if I didn’t roll it thin enough, but it was “Hello, cracks!” again. Ugh!  I imagined Kerry Vincent shaking her head at me.  Tsk!

That said, I was in a bad mood…very bad!… for most of the afternoon yesterday.  You can ask my poor husband and 4 year old daughter.  So sorry, Munchkins. *mwah*  The upside? I didn’t ache as much anymore, thanks to frequent visits to the tennis court. ;)

Ready?  Here’s the cake…

The cakes had less big cracks but the surfaces, in general, looked like they’re going to tear anytime…but didn’t, thank goodness!

I felt a whole lot better when I started making the decorations, the bows specially.  What is it with me and bows?  Oh, I don’t know!  I just wanted to give it another go after last week’s, uhm, “unsuccess”.  Hee hee.  The components for the bows and the curly cues were rolled to 1/16″ thickness.  And they were perfectly smooth!  If only I could get the fondant to cover the cake to be like that then I’ll be a whole lot happier!

I also didn’t have any problems with the circle cut-outs and the balls. :)  By the time I was done decorating the cake, I actually felt happy.

The 6″ x 3″ inch top tier cake is a White Cake, while the bottom 9″ x 3″ cake is a Yellow Cake, both baked from scratch with recipes lifted from my Kitchen Aid Companion recipe book.  Both cakes were filled and iced thinly with buttercream.  The cakes were less crumbly than last time and tasted ok…better than a boxed mix, at least.  I’ll post the recipes soon. :)

The third time will be a charm…I hope! *cross fingers*  I have to get it right in time for my daughter’s August birthday…and I will.  It’ll take some time before these cakes make their way to Vegas hotels, you know…for weddings. Wishful thinking! Hahaha! :P

Now, what to do with the cake? :)  It’s an ordinary Thursday in May and we have a two-tier cake.  Hahaha!  Happy Day to you then?  Happy Day! :D

Comments

17 Responses to “Foraying into Fondant (Part 2)”

1. Thess says:

Weng, may I ask how much it cost you for all the materials you used for such cake? (cge na, ibulong mo lang please) Hindi po ako oorder, nacurious lang ako…kasi kung ako mag experiment ng ganito (para namang kaya ko ano?) eh bankrupt na kami agad!

Thesss last blog post..Alam mo nga ba? (LP 59)

Hi Thess! For a cake like this one, I think you pretty much have all the things you’ll need in your kitchen, except maybe for the fondant. You’ll just need a rolling pin to roll out the fondant and cookie cutters for the polka dots or whatever design you want. I know you have animal-shaped cookie cutters, so you can use those. :)

2. gmirage says:

Grave na ito Weng! Nagpost pa naman ako about marzipan lol. I wonder nga if you’d post a cake for pearly shells :D Pakibulong na din sakin ung ibubulong mo kay Tita Thess at maghihintay ako recipe ha :D

gmirages last blog post..Marzipan on Chocolate – Food Friday

Hi G! Oh yes, yes, I almost forgot about the recipes! Nagkapatong-patong na nga ang pending blog entries ko. :D I already replied to Thess’ question. Basahin mo na lang. Hee hee. And you’re right, my first option for “pearly shells” was a cake with a shell border. :D

3. Vanne says:

Weng ang galing naman! Ito yung isa sa mga gustong kong gawin. Dapat nga mag-e-enroll pa ko sa Michael’s or Sylvia’s (which is just a few blocks from our place). Unfortunately I couldn’t really find time. Pwede mo na tong gawing business kung may balak kayong bumalik sa Pinas. Kelan naman ako makakatikim ng mga cakes mo?

Hi Vanne! If I’m not mistaken, this is your very first comment here….welcome! :) If you can’t squeeze in formal cake decorating lessons, just buy the Wilton cake decorating books at Michael’s. They’re very easy to follow. :) You’re right, maganda nga itong business, pero gusto ko lang umuwi sa Pinas for vacation. Ahee hee. :D Kailan ka ba bibisita ng Texas?…para naman maipagbake kita. ;)

4. Sarah says:

ooohh.. tiered cakes … how exciting!!! again, i like the colors! and the pearls you used as borders — practically the same sizes! very nice. why don’t you try making your fondant (the one that covers the cake) a bit thicker? this might solve the cracking problem. :)

can’t wait to see more of your cakes! (sana balang araw eh matikman ko din!) hehehe

Hi Sarah! I like how this tiered cake turned out in the end, cracks notwithstanding. :D Hopefully, the third time will be a charm. So I’m crossing my fingers on that. :D Naku, nahihiya yata akong patikimin ka ng cake! Hahaha!

ang galimg galing mo na weng!!!

abbys last blog post..No Fuss Beef and Veggie Stir-Fry

Hi Abs! Thanks, thanks! :D

6. this is so nice! Perfect cake.

snooky doodles last blog post..Honey rings recipe – Qaghaq tal-Ghasel

Hi Snooky Doodle! Thank you for the sweet comment. :D

7. This is even more beautiful than the first! You are too hard on yourself – you did a wonderful job. This is so sweet!

Tangled Noodles last blog post..Happy Birthday to Meme

Hi Tangled Noodle! Oh I agree, that this second cake is better than the first! Hee hee! Thanks a bunch! :)

8. Twinkie says:

You did it! You did it! (Think Dora) Muy Bien!!! I will buy that! Cafe Munchkin, go go go!

Twinkies last blog post..http://www.twinkiecalls.com

Hi Twinkie! You’re too funny! Thank you! :)

9. […] be-ribboned cake.  The first one didn’t turn out so well and was most forgettable.  The second one was better.  And this third one, I’d like to think, isn’t so […]