Quick and Easy Taho

Anyone who grew up in the Philippines, I’m quite sure, will have a story to share about having taho for breakfast or as a snack and buying it straight from the friendly neighborhood taho vendor.  What is taho anyway?  Wikipedia defines it as…

“a Philippine snack food made of fresh soft/silken tofu, arnibal (brown sugar and vanilla syrup), and pearl sago (similar to pearl tapioca)”.

Taho traces its origin in China, which is why we usually have it for dessert whenever we eat at a Chinese restaurant.

At the Asian supermarket several weeks ago, I found myself at the section where different kinds of tofu were displayed.  I suddenly remembered a blog post on taho by one of my blogger friends, The Chef’s Wife, which also reminded me that I haven’t had taho for some time already.  Since the taho vendor isn’t coming to our neighborhood ever anytime soon, I thought it was about time I made some taho!  So I grabbed two packs of silken tofu. ;)

This is so easy to make it will blow you away!  The three components of taho are silken/soft tofu, caramelized brown sugar and tapioca pearls (sago).  All you have to do is cook the tapioca pearls as per package instructions.  I had two kinds of tapioca pearls in my pantry – the tiny ones and a the regular sized one.  I chose to use the tiny pearls because my regular-sized tapioca pearls were of different colors.  Hee hee.    After it’s cooked, set it aside.

For the syrup, I simply caramelized about 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar in 1 1/2 cups of water over medium fire.  And then, the two packs of silken tofu, I transferred to a bowl and heated them up in the microwave for about two minutes at increments of one minute.  That’s it!  Now you’re ready to put everything together. ;)

You may serve taho in a bowl or in a glass/cup.  I did both. ;)  Remember to scoop thin amounts of the tofu!  Here’s taho in a bowl…

And here’s one in a glass…

I was going to use a regular drinking glass, believe me, but all our drinking glasses were in the dishwasher when I made taho so I grabbed a wine glass instead.  ;)  It did give the taho a nice fancy touch, I think!…very different from the plastic cups they are usually served in.  Hee hee!

I know some prefer chilled taho but this kind of quick and easy fix is better served warm.  Otherwise, the tofu will be too firm and won’t be as close to the one you enjoyed back home. :D

We each had two servings of taho.  And for sure, we’re going to have this again and again and again. ;)

Comments

16 Responses to “Quick and Easy Taho”

1. Gracie says:

waaaa!!! miss ko na ang taho! sana may silken tofu din dito….
    .-= Gracie´s last blog ..the B.B.B.S. (birthday bash & baby shower) =-.

Hi Gracie! Have you found any silken tofu? I’m sure you have it there. Maraming vegetarian diyan diba? :D

2. Jigi says:

looove this super easy “remind me of home” food … when I was pregnant i craved this one at one point and since there is no taho vendor here in Sydney, I decided to make my own… the ingredients are also easy to find so its just a matter of putting them together…

here was my take on this humble pinoy food

thanks for always reminding us of how good it is to eat and to love food

Jigi
    .-= Jigi´s last blog ..Baking Time: Cookies & Cream Cupcake =-.

Hi Jigi! You always leave the sweetest comments…”Thanks for always reminding us of how good it is to eat and to love food”. Awwwww. *blush*

I linked your taho entry somewhere within my taho post. ;) Thanks so much for the idea! *mwah*

3. Fantastic idea! I’d use palm sugar for this one though. It’s thicker and yummier for taho :) BTW taho is known as ‘tauhu’ in Malaysia.

Hi Mimi! Thanks! Enjoy your tauhu with palm sugar syrup! :)

i was thinking of doing this din dahil i recently read a bookmarked post from one of the food bloggers i follow. i might try it soon with the bigger tapioca pearls! :)
    .-= abby´s last blog ..WS FoodieWednesday 07: Compatible Food Combos =-.

Hi Abby! I already have a fresh supply of silken tofu and bigger tapioca pearls for our next taho merienda! :)

I have to bookmark this post – am sure will need it when I go through “Taho Withdrawal” when I get back to the kingdom :) Thanks for sharing!
    .-= Pinky´s last blog ..SSS #158: Happy Days Are Here Again! =-.

Hi Pinks! “Taho Withdrawal” is something you wouldn’t have to go through, thanks to silken tofu and homemade arnibal. :)

6. Keith says:

Weng, looks really yummy. I’m glad Pinky is bookmarking this entry. I look forward to her version of it.
    .-= Keith´s last blog ..Now FM =-.

Hi Keith! Thanks! You may have to wait a while for Pinky’s version of this Pinoy treat. Because when you get to Pinas, you’ll get to enjoy this treat straight from the friendly neighborhood vendor. Haha! :D

7. Now this is something I’m pretty sure I can make! 8-D As far as I’m concerned, the syrup is what really makes taho. What do you think about adding a piece of fresh ginger while it cooks?
    .-= Tangled Noodle´s last blog ..Food by Friends: ScottySnacks =-.

Hi Tangled Noodle! Anyone, as it turns out, can make homemade taho! Oooh, I don’t know about adding ginger to the syrup. That ought to give the syrup an interesting twist. Do let me know how it turns out when you do get the chance to experiment. Hee hee. :D

8. iska says:

Bookmarked! Pagdating ng hubby ko (hopefully soon!) try ko ito…
    .-= iska´s last blog ..Sesame Pork Teriyaki Stir-fry =-.

9. […] page showed two of my favorite foodblogs…Kuya Vanjo’s Panlasong Pinoy and Weng’s Munchkin Mommy. I was surprised at how easy it seems, and it was! A few minutes later, I had my first homemade […]