Freddy’s Frozen Custard

* This is an entry for Lasang Pinoy, Sundays (La.Pi.S.).  This week’s theme is “Strips”.

Out of curiosity, we gave Freddy’s Frozen Custard a try a few months ago.  We never went back. :D  Nevertheless, I’d like to share our experience with you. Here’s what we had…

Shoestring friesstrips of thin and crunchy potatoes – accompany the meals  at Freddy’s Frozen Custard.  My little girl had the Kid’s Hotdog Meal

Hotdog Kid’s Meal

As if the fries that came with our meals weren’t enough, we placed an additional order for Chili Cheese Fries – shoestring fries smothered with a generous amount of chili and topped with cheese.

Chili Cheese Fries

We must have been really starving when we went to Freddy’s!  Hahaha!  The Chili Cheese Fies was all right, but I did not turn into a fan.  I guess my tastebuds are more accustomed to the nachos and chili cheese combo. That or I’m simply a regular fries and ketchup kind of gal. :D

Hubby had the Original Freddy’s Steakburger – Single (available in single, double or triple)…

It doesn’t really take much to please hubby and me when it comes to burgers.  Just give us  moist and not so bland burgers and we’ll be happy.  A nice thick patty would be nice, too!  Unfortunately, the patty in hubby’s burger was on the thin side, which is probably why there’s an option for a double or a triple.  It was kind of dry, too.  Tsk, tsk.

I had the Chicago Style Hotdog Meal….

It was the first time I ever had a Chicago style hotdog.  I realized then that this particular style of hotdog isn’t for me. :D  For one, I’m not particularly fond of onions.  Two, I found the hotdog to be a tad small.  (Did I just complain about serving size?  Uh-oh, I’m so used to hefty portions already! :D)

For dessert, we ordered Chocolate Custard

This was our meal’s saving grace, as it should, because after all, the fastfood chain’s name capitalizes on frozen custard and it was what lured us to this place.  I had a very different idea of frozen custard before this visit to Freddy’s.  I now know that it is gourmet ice cream which has more eggs added to the ingredients making it smoother and richer than ice cream.

I like places with the diner-of-old look, you know, the reds and whites, the stripes and the cozy booths.

There was one thing on the wall that caught my eye….

The caption under the photo reads:

“Freddy is pictured here standing in front of the General Doughlas MacArthur Memorial on the Island of Leyte in the Philippines.  Freddy was revisiting the scene on October 20th, 2004, marking the 60th anniversary of the historic battle which led to the liberation of the Filipino people. Freddy, with Troop A of the First Cavalry, landed in the first wave of soldiers approximately 6 hours prior to General MacArthur.”

If and when we do go back to Freddy’s, it may very well be to escape the Texas summer heat via frozen custards. Well, a side of regular shoestring fries might be good, too. :D

Freddy's Frozen Custard on Urbanspoon

Comments

12 Responses to “Freddy’s Frozen Custard”

1. that hotdog is yummy :D and the burgers too :D

my entry is here

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
    Salamat sa pagbisita :)
    .-= Jay – Agent112778´s last blog ..La.Pi.S # 54 : STRIPS =-.

Hi Jay! Unfortunately, they only look yummy. :( Thanks for dropping by! :)

2. chae kyung says:

The custard looks pretty good – these Texas summers are KILLER this year. 80 degrees at 7am? X_X

Other than that, the food looks…inedible…to me. I guess I’m just picky like that. Oh well, custard it is!!

Hi Chae Kyung! It sure is hot hot hot in Texas this time of year. But I shouldn’t complain…and I’m not allowed to. I grew up in a tropical country. Hahaha! :D

The custard does taste good. It’s enough reason to go pay Freddy’s Frozen Custard another visit. :)

Thanks for the visit!

3. raquel says:

fries with chili cheese! looks great and yummilicious! i might serve that for 4th of july for the kids!!!!!
    .-= raquel´s last blog ..Royal Foodie Joust: Basil Barley and Strawberry Salad =-.

4. iska says:

hmm… sabagay. we do try places for whatever is available and to try new things or just go out with family without worrying about cooking and washing the dishes afterwards. minsan successful, minsan sabit. but still great to try anyways :-) and we go back to the places we remember…
    .-= iska´s last blog ..Baguio Beans Guisado =-.

Hi Iska! I totally agree! But I really do hate the feeling of being full yet unsatisfied with what I ate. Haha!

5. frogette says:

I LUV IT!! It is greasy and the fries are good. It was not that expensive when we ate there about $18 for two. That is about what u will pay to go through the drive through but you will also get fresh meat and fresh veggies at Freddy’s. I guess you just have no taste for good food.Like you said you grew up in Hawaii not Texas. Here in Texas we like our meat fresh and tasty!

Frogette, taste is subjective. What may taste good for some may taste bad for others, in the same way that everyone has differing opinions almost about everything. We are, however, expected to respect the opinion of everyone. To say, “I guess you just have no taste for good food” is rude and insulting. I treat this blog as if it were my home and people who drop by as guests, whether they comment or not and as in real life, I expect guests to conduct themselves properly. I welcome comments to my blog and love the exchange of opinions. There have been a couple of times when people expressed opinions that differ from my own and I am fine with that. It’s just unfortunate that some are unable to disagree in a more proper and appropriate manner. *sigh*

I don’t know where you got the idea that I grew up in Hawaii. I did say somewhere in the comment thread for this particular entry that I grew up in a tropical country…an archipelago that lies in Southeast Asia called the Philippines, where people are warm and friendly. All countries in Southeast Asia, by the way, are tropical.

Thank you for pointing out that you like your meat fresh and tasty here in Texas. I thought for the longest time, that here in Texas, people are friendly, too, because after all, the state’s name was derived from a word that means “friends” or “allies”. I guess I’m guilty of sweeping generalizations.

Enjoy your fresh and tasty meat. =)

6. luvmms says:

RCS – I didn’t know you grew up in Hawaii…AND we weren’t invited? You are from an island, not Hawaii….

And what does Hawaii have to do with Texas meat? Is it the assumption that people in Hawaii only eat meat from a can?? If so, that is pretty insulting and offensive. Secondly, a thin patty could be pretty dry and how does one define “fresh”? Does Freddy’s Frozen Custard get fresh beef each day for their burgers? You must know something we don’tl know. And just like you, everyone has the right to their own opinion!

7. Girlie says:

hhhmmm i say that line too if i’m not happy with the food or service…i will never come back.
    .-= Girlie´s last blog ..Paalam! =-.

Hi Girlie! Yes, I very rarely re-visit a restaurant after I’ve been “burned”. :) Sayang pera. Hee hee! :D