My Birthday Cake: Mocha Chiffon

Last Friday, I turned a year older.  One of the best birthday presents I got as early as mid-June was a green ring-bound collection of dessert recipes from a dear dear family friend who was also a principal sponsor at my wedding. It is a treasure trove, this recipe collection!  My ninang (godmother)  is in the food/catering business and I’ve always been one of her biggest fans.  However, she made me promise not to post the recipes from that collection. :( I have so far tried four recipes from that green book, all of which were huge hits among family and friends – my guinea pigs.  But a promise is a promise.  I’d go so far as showing you photos of the birthday cake I made for myself though. :)

I  made Mocha Chiffon Cake filled and frosted with Creme Chantilly for my birthday cake.  Creme Chantilly sounds so fancy, doesn’t it?  Don’t be fooled.  It’s just sweetened/flavored whipped cream.  I wanted a cake that reminded me of my childhood birthday cakes from Goldilocks.  And this cake did it for me!  This is how the cake looks when sliced…

I loooove Creme Chantilly!  It is, for now, my favorite cake frosting and filling.  One, it is easy to make.  Two, it’s sugar content is but a  fraction of the sugar in buttercream icing (which gets you thinking of the top diet pill after the first bite of cake).  My only problem is that it’s a bit challenging to work with as far as cake decorating is concerned.  Come to think of it, it may actually be a blessing as I won’t have to stress myself out too much with more intricate cake designs. ;)

Cheers, y’all!

Comments

27 Responses to “My Birthday Cake: Mocha Chiffon”

1. Belated Happy Birthday! That cake is beautiful. I like the purple icing. I’m sure it was delicious.
    .-= Rach (Heart of Rachel)´s last blog ..Photo Hunt :: Garbage =-.

Hi Rach! Thank you! And I have to say, the cake was indeed delicious. :)

2. ;oh these look so nice! I love coffee and chantilly cream is the best topping. Happy Birthday!
    .-= snooky doodle´s last blog ..My fondant twins =-.

Thank you, Snooky Doodle! I love coffee, too and chantilly cream is my favorite cake filling/icing at the moment. ;)

3. Happy belated birthday! What a beautiful cake – mocha is one of my favorites (well, truthfully there are few flavors of cake that I don’t love!) It’s so beautifully decorated – if the creme chantilly is difficult to decorate with, then you’ve certainly made it look easy! I can totally understand why your ninang doesn’t want you to post the recipes but I’m happy that you’re sharing the pictures.
    .-= Tangled Noodle´s last blog ..Time to Social-ice! Calamansi-Basil Sorbet and Prizes =-.

Thank you, Tangled Noodle! I had reservations about posting a photo of my birthday cake because I won’t be able to share the recipe. Thank you for understanding! It’s difficult to decorate with creme chantilly because you’re working against time. The stiffness of the whipped cream by the time you finish decorating will already be different from when you started. Maybe I’m the problem? I hope not! Still, I love creme chantilly and I will use it for future cake decorating practice opportunities. :)

4. What a great idea for an alternative birthday cake, sounds delicious too! Hope you had a great day and enjoyed that cake.

Belated happy birthday again, Weng! That is one lovely cake – with a delicate purple-hued frosting to boot – yum! :) PaFedEx na lang ng slice – hehehe! :lol:
    .-= Pinky´s last blog ..Dreamy Cream Dory Fillet =-.

Thank you, Pinks..again! :) What do you mean pa-FedEx? You’re in Pinas, there’s mocha cake at every street corner! :)

nakuuu i love mocha cake and so far i haven’t been successful in finding the perfect recipe. kaya for now, bumibili ako sa filipino bakery dito. pwede na rin! :D

i hope you had a great great birthday weng! :)
    .-= abby´s last blog ..WS FoodieWednesday 07: Compatible Food Combos =-.

Hi Abby! You have no idea how happy I was when my Mom handed to me the recipe collection. I was only asking for a fool-proof puto recipe and I got an entire collection of dessert recipes instead! Mabenta itong cake na ito sa mag-ama ko! I did have a great birthday, Abs! Thank you! :)

7. iska says:

Belated happy birthday! Love, love the colors of your cake :-)
    .-= iska´s last blog ..I Saw the Hell Sign… =-.

Thank you, Iska! :)

8. M.A.C says:

hi munchkin mommy!
    be lated happy b!day… hope you have more..more b!days to come!
    t
    hat mocha chiffon cake looks so yummy!!yummy!! hope you can give me the recipe..

Hi M.A.C.! Thank you. :) I’m very generous when it comes to sharing recipes. But for this one, I have to keep my promise. I’m afraid that if I don’t (keep my promise), my cooking and baking experiments might turn into disasters of karmaic proportions. I hope you understand. :)

9. Manang says:

Belated happy birthday!
    I so want to have a copy of that recipe, but I won’t make you break your promise so I won’t ask you for it.
    drool na lang ako…haha!

Hi Manang! Thank you for the birthday greetings and for not making me break my promise. Pero ikaw pa, you can do this all by yourself without having to search for the recipe elsewhere. :)

10. dang says:

belated happy birthday weng!
    ganda ng cake! masarap pa! gleng mo talaga!

Hi Dang! I’m sorry for the very late reply. It’s only now that I’m replying to comments. At least, I finally got around to replying kahit late. Hee hee. Thank you for the very kind words. *mwah!*

11. jhoanne says:

Hello I really love your mocha cake especially if the same taste of goldilocks and it’s my favorite too. Can you share to me the recipe coz I’m planning to make it for my daugther’s b-day next month.

Thank you.

Hi Jhoanne! Unfortunately, I made a promise to the person who gave me the recipe for this chiffon cake that I will not share it. I am terribly sorry. There is a mocha chiffon recipe that I’ve been wanting to try as it’s from one of my favorite online recipe resources, Recipezaar. You might want to check out this recipe. I would suggest, however, that you substitute the all purpose flour with cake flour. :)

Thanks for dropping by!

12. JO says:

I’m suddenly craving for some cake!

Hi Jo! I like it when people who come here leave craving the very thing I posted an entry on. :D

13. […] I’ve mentioned in a previous blog entry, Creme Chantilly (a fancy term for flavored/sweetened whipped cream) is my current  filling and […]

14. Janet says:

This cake is lovely! I was wondering if you could share the recipe for the icing? I already have the perfect recipe for a mocha chiffon cake. However, I’m still in search for the perfect mocha buttercream icing. Thank you!

15. valerie tizon says:

hi cafemunchkin!im a big fan of you! ive been using your recipes for a while now :)
    my son’s first bday is coming up and i really wanted to make him this same exact mocha cake, is there anyway i can know the recipe? thank you :)

Hi Valerie! Thank you, thank you for taking time out to leave a comment and for following my blog. :)

I’m on a bind here. Hee hee. As I mentioned in this entry, I was sworn to secrecy not to share the recipe. *blush* And I haven’t done so…not even with my bestest friend! :D When is your son’s birthday? I found another recipe for mocha chiffon cake online, which is very similar to the one I have and which I haven’t tried yet but I’m willing to test for you. Please say yes. :) Thank you for understanding! :)