Digimon Birthday Cake

“A Feeble Attempt at a Digimon Birthday Cake” would be a more apt title…

I made this cake for my dearest friend’s son who turned 5 last Monday.  I almost wished I accepted a health insurance quote as I was afraid my friend will break my arm after she sees the cake. Ok, that’s an exaggeration. Hee hee.

The top tier is French Vanilla with buttercream filling and the bottom tier is Devil’s Food Cake with chocolate filling.  I’ve seen a lot of cake photos that were frosted in buttercream but decorated with fondant and gum paste and they looked really great.  So I thought I’d try doing the same thing and hoped that mine would, at the very least, look decent.

The most dominant Digimon colors, I would say, are orange, yellow and blue.  Check, check, check.  The birthday boy’s favorite character is Agumon, the dinosaur looking creature on the top of the cake.  I cut out Agumon’s shape on yellow fondant and then drew and painted the details.

The figure is completely edible as I used markers with edible ink and coloring gel mixed with a bit of vodka (which evaporates so don’t worry!)  for the details.  My original plan was to put a lollipop stick at the back of the figure and make it stand on the cake.  Alas, the fondant still wasn’t hard enough by the time I had to leave the house.  Tsk.  So I cut out a rectangular piece of fondant to serve as a frame of sorts.  I should have, SHOULD HAVE, cut a round piece instead.  :(

Nevertheless, the birthday boy seemed to like his cake, and so did my friend.  The birthday boy’s twin brothers loved how the cake tasted.  That was the first time I saw them finish a slice of cake…EVER!  I hope to do a better job with the twins’ birthday cakes next month. *crosses fingers*

Comments

9 Responses to “Digimon Birthday Cake”

1. Keith says:

Nice Digimon cake, Weng. Love how you made Agumon.

Thanks, Keith! I could have done better though… :(

2. Reminds me of my friends sons Pokemon cake! You really did a nice job, I hate those cartoon cakes that are very gordy and over the top, but this is really well balanced and looks very pleasant!

Hi Heathers Sweetart! Thank you! Most of the time, achieving balance can be such a challenge. One has to know when there’s enough decorations on the cake already. Hee hee. Thanks for the visit. :)

3. arjhen21 says:

hello po munchkin mommy! pede po bang malaman kung ano yung half and half at pano po ito ginagawa? tnx po

Hi Arjhen21! Half and Half is a dairy product that consists of equal parts cream and whole milk. It is usually 10 to 12 percent milk fat. In some cases it can be used as a cream substitute, however it can not be whipped. To make your own half and half, mix 3/4 cup whole milk with 1/4 cup heavy cream. That would be a close approximation of half and half. If using skim milk, mix 2/3 cup skim milk with 1/3 cup heavy cream. Looking at the amounts of cream and milk, they’re not really half and half, you might say. But it’s really the fat content from both dairies that’s under consideration. ;) You probably have half and half at the dairy section of the supermarket. ;)

4. arjhen21 says:

tnx po sa info munchkin mommy! dito po kasi sa finland ang hirap maghanap ng mga ingredients sa baking eh.. kahit nga all purpose flour wala sila dito hayyyyyyyy… anyway tnx po ulit sa sagot niyo… oo nga po pala sobrang hanga ako sa inyo kasi ang galing niyong magdecorate ng cake.. sana matuto din ako someday

You’re welcome, Arjhen! Hmm, kung walang all purpose flour diyan sa Finland, anong klaseng flour ang meron? Baka iba lang ang tawag. :) Thanks so much for the kind words. You are so sweet. Matututo ka rin magdecorate ng cake. Simulan mo sa panood-nood sa YouTube. Maraming useful videos doon sa pagdecorate ng cake…from buttercream to fondant. ;)

5. arjhen21 says:

munchkin mommy sana po matulungan niyo akong gumawa ng cake yung simple lng ang ingredients… malapit na kasi mag 1 yr old ang baby ko gusto ko sana ako gumawa ng cake niya.. maraming salamat po ulit! GOD BLESS!