I hope y’all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving week proved to be quite hectic for me, it felt like I was in a cooking marathon…or a horse race (I could have donned equestrian apparel!)! That explains the lack of update on this site. Sorry! Nevertheless, it was a fun-filled, food feasting week! Now that I finally found the time to sit down and post an entry or two, let me strike while the iron is hot. I’ll be striking twice, just so you know. Hee hee.
The day before Thanksgiving, November 25th, I received some love from Foodbuzz once again when I got selected to try out a Safeway holiday recipe or two. The opportunity couldn’t have come at a better time because I had a get-together scheduled on Thanksgiving weekend anyway. And besides, it’s about time I started trying out new recipes because the holidays are just around the corner. That means, potlucks galore! Oh, did I mention shopping money’s on Foodbuzz/Safeway (Randall’s here in Texas)? Now that’s something worth adding to my “Things I’m Thankful For List”. *wink*
I chose two recipes from the Safeway Holiday Recipes page. One is an appetizer while the other one is from the “edible gifts” category. Let me show and tell you about the appetizer…Deviled Eggs with Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese.
I love eggs. I love salmon. And I love cream cheese. So this was a logical choice. Plus, the recipe has a 5-star rating on the Safeway site, which made it all the more attractive to me. I’ve made deviled eggs before but it was totally different from this new one, which, I dare say, is more chic and sophisticated. Definitely more worthy of the French term “hors d’oeuvres” than the English “appetizer”! Never mind if they mean one and the same thing. Haha!
Are you a fan of deviled eggs, too? Well then, here’s the recipe:
* 6 large eggs
* 3 tablespoons minced smoked salmon (about 1 oz.)
* 3 tablespoons minced green onions
* 3 tablespoons softened cream cheese
* 1 tablespoon sour cream
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* 2 teaspoons lemon juice
* ¼ teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
* Garnishes: fresh dill, smoked salmon slivers, sweet paprika
1. Place eggs and enough water to cover in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 15 minutes. Drain; return eggs to saucepan, and add enough cold water and ice to cover. Let cool. Remove shells from eggs, halve each egg lengthwise, and scrape yolks into a bowl. Reserve egg whites.
2. Combine yolks, salmon, and next 7 ingredients, mashing with a fork until well blended. Spoon filling into reserved whites, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and refrigerate up to 2 days. Garnish, if desired.
I love that this recipe makes use of cream cheese and sour cream instead of mayonnaise. That’s something new to me. The smoked salmon, naturally, gave the eggs a smoky kick. These eggs almost didn’t make it to the party we attended yesterday because after tasting the mixture, hubby thought he couldn’t part with the deviled eggs. Hee hee! My little girl also loved them and has already put in a request to have me make them for her school lunch tomorrow.
Check out more Safeway Holiday Recipes HERE.
Coming up next, edible gifts…still from Safeway Holiday Recipes.