All-Egg-Yolk Leche Flan

I love leche flan and I love making it, specially after I’ve perfected the art of caramelizing sugar.  Thank you, Paula Deen!  There’s one recipe I’ve been following religiously for the longest time now.  While I love that recipe, which you can find HERE, I have to say that as of Christmas 2009, I’ve already moved on to a yummier and creamier leche flan.

Nanay, my maternal grandma, made leche flan using only the yolks of duck eggs (itlog ng pato).  It’s about time I heeded her example and used only the yolks (of chicken eggs) in mine.  It was my mom’s cousin, a godmother of mine, who gave me the recipe for this all-egg-yolk leche flan.  Not counting the sugar and water you’ll use for the caramel, you’ll only have 3 other easy to remember ingredients that’ll take you to leche flan heaven. ;)

INGREDIENTS:

8 large egg yolks
1 can evaporated milk
1 can condensed milk

1 cup sugar and just enough water to give the sugar the consistency of wet sand for the caramel

PROCEDURE:

1.  Caramelize the sugar on a heavy-bottomed stainless steel pan.  Once you’ve got the sugar caramelized to a nice golden amber, coat the bottom and a portion of the sides as well of an 8-inch round pan with the caramel. Set aside.
2.  In a bowl, gently whisk the eggs.  Then add the condensed milk and evaporated milk.
3.  Whisk some more until the ingredients are well blended.  Do not overmix to avoid bubbles.
4.  Strain the mixture then transfer to the pan with caramelized sugar.
5.  Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place  in a steamer.
6.  Steam for 45-60 minutes, testing for doneness with a toothpick.  Alternatively, you can cook your leche flan in the oven.  Place the pan on a water bath and bake at 350F.  Test for doneness at 45 minutes.  This may take a wee bit longer.
7.  When it’s done, let cool then chill in the refrigerator.

This leche flan recipe is good for one oval cake pan that’s 8-inches on the longest side and 2-inches deep.  It should be enough for one 8-inch round cake pan.

Check out how the leche flan looked when sliced…

No unsightly bubbles!  This would have been another proud moment for Nanay.  Hee hee.  If only I can find fresh duck eggs!

I was holding my breath practically during the entire time I was steaming the leche flan.  There was this one time when I made an all-organic, all-egg-yolk leche flan.  It failed miserably.  Not only did it hurt my home-chef’s ego, but my wallet as well! Oh well.

You may, by the way, substitute the evaporated milk with whole milk.  I will try doing just that next time. ;)

When I saw the leche flan was done in 45 minutes, I just had to smile a triumphant smile.  And after I turned the flan over onto a serving platter, I just had to pat myself on the back.  Hee hee.  And after we sliced the leche flan and saw how smooth and creamy it was, ooh lala.  I was just plain ecstatic.  I needed for this to work and get over that all egg-yolk leche flan failure a while back.  I’ll be making this again for New Year’s Eve/Day…among others.

Enjoy the long weekend, y’all!  It’s always nice to take a break from one’s job (admin jobs and all!) every so often.  And welcoming the New Year is one of the best excuses to do so!

Cheers!

Comments

24 Responses to “All-Egg-Yolk Leche Flan”

1. what an interesting recipe! Looks so delicious!
    .-= snooky doodle´s last blog ..Cookies cake =-.

Thanks, Snooky Doodle! We looooove Leche Flan!

Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe! Been meaning to make leche flan again for the longest time and your recipe convinced me to just do it! :lol:

More blessings, happiness and good health to all of us for the coming year! Stay happy, Munchkin Family! :D

Hi Pinks! I shall look forward to photos of your leche flan. :) More blessings, happiness and good health to you all as well! *mmuah*

3. Luigi says:

Wow! Tita this looks so good! Mama said she’ll try the recipe, too. Anyway, hope all is fine there and a joyful New Year to come!

Hi Luigi! What a pleasant surprise! I’ve been meaning to reply to your comments for the longest time. Better late than never!

Keep bugging your mama to make leche flan, if she hasn’t done so yet. Do it with puppy eyes. Hee hee. Thanks for leaving so many sweet comments, Luigi! *mmmmuah*

4. cecile says:

thanks for sharing this nice recipe; your leche flan looks yummy!

ganyan din ang recipe ko ng leche flan, all egg yolk, though i use 10 eggs. medyo magastos sa egg whites (cos i almost always end up throwing it away since i forget to make something with it), pero sobrang sulit naman talaga ang creaminess, haha. no fail at all!

happy new year to you and your family, weng!
    .-= abby´s last blog ..Moving =-.

6. I’ve had this type of all-yolk leche flan before and it is delicious. One of these days I really must try making a leche flan ice cream flavor :)

7. farrah says:

hello! i just want to ask, how many ml is equivalent to 1 can of condensed and evap milk you used?is it equivalent to two big cans?thanks so much

Hi Farrah! The can of condensed milk I use is 14oz. It’s just a small can. I’ve ran out of evaporated milk so I can’t give you the exact size/weight. What I did is to compare it to similar-sized cans in my pantry. The regular-sized can of evaporated milk is around 14oz. as well, but it is a bigger can than that of the condensed milk. Remember that condensed milk is thicker, thus, heavier. Are you from the Philippines? Because if you are, you can very well use the regular-sized cans of evaporated milk and condensed milk that you’ll find in the supermarkets. ;) Thanks for dropping by!

8. Vicky says:

Hi. How long will this leche flan keep in the fridge? If I cook it 6 days before my hubby’s birthday, will it still be okay to serve on the day after that length of time?

Hi Vicky! Happy New Year! I’m so sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I am currently on vacation. I did some research on the shelf life of leche flan. Commercially produced flan keeps in the fridge for upto 30 days and homemade ones between 2 and 4 weeks. I say just make the flan as close to your hubby’s birthday as possible. It’s very easy to make anyway, promise! And you’ll like it so much you won’t need to keep it in the fridge for a very long time. ;) Cheers!

9. Vicky Brownson says:

Just visiting …. in case there’s already a reply to my query. I just asked the question last night (Sydney time), but I can’t wait to hear from you. I can’t take the leche flan photo out of my mind!

10. Diane says:

Thank you for your helpful recipes! DUE TO MY HUSBAND AND I HAVING BEEN ON THE DUKON DIET FOR MONTHS ( NO CARBS, PLENTY EGG WHITES – LOST KILOS!) – I HAVE A PLETHORA OF EGG YOLKS STILL IN THEIR SHELLS IN THE FREEZER LOOKING LIKE SOME KIND OF SCENE FROM THE FILM JURASSIC PARK -(MY HELPER MANAGED TO EVACUATE THE WHITE THROUGH THE TINIEST OF HOLES WHILST I JUST BREAK IT IN TWO!
    LIVING IN THE PHILIPPINES, LECHE FLAN IS A STAPLE DESSERT AND DELISH SO I LOOK FORWARD TO SAMPLING THIS WHENEVER I AM OFF OF THIS DIET!

11. nelly says:

The leche flan recipe I know requires only condensed milk and I added two drops of vanilla for an added scent. :D

12. Dannielle says:

go figure. I’ll crawling the web looking for a recipe where I can use up some duck egg yolks and I not only find a flan (I adore flan!) but the author says “if only I could find fresh ducks eggs!”

we raise our own. my two khaki campbell ducks produce a solid dozen eggs a week for us. they are easy to care for and nothing beats ducks’ eggs for recipes. we just added 6 new ducklings to our flock (we also have ten hens). hurray, more duck eggs!

btw, I make lemon meringues with the whites. I love little meringue “cookies” and love lemon meringue pie but didn’t have everything for pie :)

13. Jess says:

Hello do you use sweetened condensed milk ?

14. Mollie says:

What do you mean by steaming it? Just made an angel food cake so we have a lot of yolks left over! :) Thanks!

15. sheilamarie says:

hello. i want to ask if pato eggs are better than chicken eggs for a leche flan? if yes, will it still be 8 eggs and one can for evaporated / condensed milks? also, i read that lemon rind can add flavor? is it true? if yes, how much should i add – a teaspoon, a tablespoon or just a pinch?
    Would really really appreciate your comments and advises. God bless you & yours always…

16. jamie says:

Does this taste any different from regular flan? Do you have to grease the 8 inch cake pan at all before coating it with caramel? Does the round cake pan have to be 2 inches deep or can it be 1 1/2 inches deep? How high up on the 8 inch cake pan does the water bath have to come up? I ate flan bought at grocery stores in Spain all the time. I miss it. I have a lot of egg yolks leftover from making french macarons, so I was looking for a flan recipe with all egg yolks.

17. Lynne says:

This is wonderful. Reminds me of my days in the Philippines when I was a kid. Then we would make a coffee flavored flan with the egg whites.

18. Lena A says:

Hi! Thanks for the great recipe! I’ve made it twice so far since I found it, about to make it again for a Mother’s Day gathering. The first time I made it, my husband didn’t like the look of it, thought it looked interesting, but once he tried it, he really liked it and now requests this dessert for When we have company/special occasions. Though I did want to ask if you ever doubled the recipe, does it turn out the same?

Hi Lena! Thanks for your comment. I’m glad you were able to make a leche flan convert out of your husband. :) Yes, I have tried doubling the recipe and it turns out the same. Don’t forget to strain, strain, strain! Happy Mother’s Day!