The Little Mermaid Birthday Cake

It was October 7th of last year when I last decorated a cake with fondant.  I’ve baked and decorated many cakes thereafter but I always find myself taking the easier route when decorating.   That is, I use either buttercream or creme chantilly.  I’m too lazy to knead fondant, not to mention fearful of the body aches that come several hours later.

Saturday last week, I thought I should “re-connect” with fondant.  I made a cake for a sweet little girl’s 4th birthday.  The birthday girl loves Ariel, the Little Mermaid.  So I made  her a Little Mermaid-themed cake.

This a 9″(diameter) x 4″ (height) chocolate cake  with milk chocolate and white chocolate chips. It has a perfectly chocolate chocolate filling.  This is a 360-degree cake.  There’s something to see all around the cake.   Here, allow me to give you a short 360-degree tour. ;)

A slight turn of the cake and you’ll see a school of fish and seaweeds and one of Ariel’s sisters.

Another slight turn and you’ll see the back of the cake.  There are starfish and corals and more seaweeds and more sisters of Ariel.  On top of the cake there’s a happy octopus. :)

Turn the cake just a tad and you’ll find some yellow starfish and you guessed it, another mermaid sister. ;)

And we’re back in front, where you’ll find the birthday girl’s name on a gigantic starfish on either side of which is a sister of Ariel.  Hee hee.

Now, let me give you a closer look of the top of the cake…

That’s Ariel, of course.  I got Ariel and her mermaid sisters at the Disney Store.  So I cheated and didn’t sculpt them out of fondant.  That allowed me time to play with the details. :P  All other decorations – the rocks, seaweeds, corals, flowers, school of fish and starfish were fondant and gumpaste.  I used some spiced gum drops as well. :D

At the back of the cake, behind the rocks is a yellow, purple-eyed octopus. Didn’t I tell you this was a fun cake to make?!  I thought I needed to put something behind the grey rocks and an octopus was an easy sea animal to make.

For the sand, I used crushed graham crackers.

Hubby, my little girl and my mom were constantly hovering as I decorated this cake.  They were very excited to see how the cake would come together.  They also had a suggestion or two.  My daughter loved the cake and was already thinking of a birthday cake design for herself!  Hubby loved that I veered away from my usual pastels and used bright colors.  My Mom, on the other hand, couldn’t help saying that this cake looked better than her birthday cakes (THIS and THIS)!  Hee hee.  What can I say, there might be some truth to what she said. :D

As for me, I love that I had sooo much fun decorating this cake.  At no point did I feel stressed-out during the decorating process.  I was even humming to myself almost all throughout…”Up where they walk, up where they run, up where they stay all day in the sun…”  I wasn’t scrambling for time or anything.  For once, I wasn’t late for the party! No achy arms, too!

Perhaps in God’s time and God willing, I can turn my hobby into a business (and secure a business insurance in the process).  Hmmm, maybe.  Why not, right? Like my Mom always says,”It’s free to dream.” *wink*

Cheers, y’all!

Comments

8 Responses to “The Little Mermaid Birthday Cake”

Ooohhh! I just love this – so fun and so … mermaid-y! :lol: Now I wish more than ever that we were just neighbors! Marga would be delighted to have such a beautiful birthday cake “created” by her Tita Weng :)
    .-= Pinky´s last blog ..Happy Super-Blessed New Year! =-.

2. Keith says:

Weng, you are so creative! Why don’t you really turn your hobby into a business?! I’m sure you’d do very well in it. Good luck!
    .-= Keith´s last blog ..Give Us More! =-.

3. leanne says:

I absolutely love this cake, and I am in the process of planning my daughter’s 1st birthday party. We are doing the Little Mermaid theme. I know she’s not going to remember it, but she’ll be able to see pictures when she’s old enough. There will be lots of little girls at the party that love the Little Mermaid too.

I just have a few questions. I don’t know where to start!!!
    Roughly how much fondant and gum paste did you buy?
    How many starfish, fish etc did you make?
    I am new at this, so I don’t know whether I can handle making this cake, but it would be awesome if I could make it for my daughter :)

Hi Leanne! My daughter had a very elaborate circus-themed 1st birthday party. She doesn’t remember any of it, yes, but I do. My daughter’s now 5 years old.

This Little Mermaid cake is 9-inches in diameter and 3 inches high. I used approximately 40 ounces of fondant/gumpaste. I really didn’t count how many starfish/fish I made. I just added them to the cake as I saw fit. When I made this cake, I didn’t really have a concrete design. All I had in my head were ideas of what I want to put on the cake. But I’m not usually like that. Hee hee. As much as possible, I try to come up with a sketch. The big starfish with the celebrant’s name was cut freehand. For the other starfish, I used a 5-petal flower cutter.

I hope you get to do your daughter’s birthday cake. That will be just awesome. :) Good luck!

4. Nina says:

This cake is so stinkin’ cute. Ahmagads, I can’t get over it. Yes, I’m a complete stranger and I’m loving it!

I’m just wondering if you got the figurines online at the Disney Store, or you were physically at a Disney Store. I’m looking for them, but can’t find them anywhere.

Hi Nina! Thank you so much for the very kind words! :) I got the figurines on clearance at the Disney Store at a nearby mall.

5. Marie says:

hi munchkinmommy,

good day! do u have plans of selling the mermaid figurines? if yes, id love to buy them for my daughter’s 6th birthday… she wishes to have the little mermaid theme… hoping for ur favorable response… thanks and God bless! :-)

6. Summer says:

I LOVE this cake! I wish you could do it for my little girl’s birthday party!! I have been looking for mermaid cakes all morning and this is by far the best one I’ve seen! But we live in Arkansas, so I’m guessing that’s not possible!? Great cake though!