Eggland’s Best Egg Pie

Let me qualify the title for this post…Egg Pie made with the Eggland’s Best brand of eggs.  As part of the FoodBuzz Tastemaker Program, I received a coupon for a a free dozen eggs from Eggland’s Best.  You can’t miss these eggs in the supermarket as they are clearly marked…

With the free eggs, I made one of my Mom’s favorite desserts that she has put on request, Egg Pie.  She may not like cake all that much, but she sure loves her Egg Pies and Leche Flans.  Who am I to deny my mother’s wishes?  Being the obedient daughter that I am, I made the egg pie.  After all, I had 2 Marie Callender’s pie shells waiting to get out of the freezer.  Too bad I only needed one. Hee hee.

I usually let the egg pie rest in the fridge for a few hours after it has cooled down to give it time to firm up.  But my daughter and my Mom just couldn’t stop asking, “Can we eat it yet?”  Again, I relented just so I could get back to cleaning the tv stands in peace. But I warned them not to blame me if the egg pie is still a little wobbly or worse, falls apart on their plates.

Well, it didn’t fall apart.  But it was still a little soft.  I would have preferred egg pie that was a tad firmer.  Nevertheless, grandma and granddaughter were happy and satisfied, and so was hubby.  I just love my family. Hee hee.

INGREDIENTS:

1 pie shell
2 1/3 cups milk
4 eggs – separated
1/2 cup caster sugar (superfine) + 1/2 to 3/4 cup regular sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)

PROCEDURE:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
2. In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and egg yolks. Stir in the milk into the mixture.
3. Whip the egg whites to soft peaks. Then fold into the milk/egg yolk mixture.
4. Pour the filling in the pie shell and bake for 20 minutes or until the top is brown.
5. Bring down oven temperature to 250F (110C) and bake for a further 1 hour until the custard is just set. The center should be a little wobbly.
6. Remove from oven and cool completely.

Do keep a close eye on the pie while you’re waiting for the top to brown.  You don’t want to burn the top.

It’s Friday tomorrow…a meatless one for Catholics.  I’ll post a meatless entry. *wink*

Cheers, y’all!

Comments

17 Responses to “Eggland’s Best Egg Pie”

1. JMom says:

Beautiful looking egg pie!

Thanks, JMom! :)

2. arjhen21 says:

w0w! sarap naman niyan miss munchkin… perfect na perfect pagkakagawa niyo… try k0 po itong gawin sa sunday…

Arjhen, matagal-tagal ko ring hinanap ang recipe na ito. The first time I made egg pie, I didn’t quite like it. Then I found this recipe. It’s my go-to egg pie recipe now. ;) I’m sure you’ll like it, too. Cheers!

3. arjhen21 says:

miss munchkin pede po malaman kung ano size ng pie shell? plano ko po kasi gumawa ng sariling crust… tnx po!

Hi Arjhen21! The pie shell is about 9″ in diameter. :)

Thanks for dropping by! :)

4. arjhen21 says:

ginawa ko po ito kaso palpak : ( hindi po naluto yung custard niya.. 2 hrs ko na po siyang binake.. ano po bang naging problema?

Hi Arjhen! I’m sorry to hear your egg pie didn’t turn out to be a success. Did you follow the recipe exactly or did you, by any chance double it? Still, if you did double it, it shouldn’t have been a big issue. Whenever I make egg pie, it usually takes about 30 minutes for the top of the pie to brown and then another hour for the custard to set at the lower temperature. The custard is still a bit wobbly when I take it out of the oven. And then I let it cool on the dining table. When it’s cooled, I transfer it in the fridge. The entire process takes a long time. I actually refrigerate the pie for 4 to 6 hours. Did you wait that long as well? I’m also wondering where you could have gone wrong. :(

5. arjhen21 says:

12 inch pie plate po pla na ginamit ko, sana po matulungan niyo ak0..tnx po

6. arjhen21 says:

pede po ba makaaffect ung kapal nung pie pan ms. munchkin? medyo makapal po kasi yung molde ko…

7. Gmirage says:

I miss this goody so much! Congrats again Weng and thanks, I’ll try this :)

8. lyn says:

hi, thanks for sharing this egg pie recipe, tanong ko lang kung anong brand yung pie shells na ginamit mo?

BTW, na try ko din yung leche plan mo, sarap din… :)

Hi Lyn! I use the Mrs. Smith’s Deep Dish Pie Shells. :)

I’m glad you like the leche flan! :) Thanks for dropping by!

9. lyn says:

Hi Ms Munchkin,

I tried this Egg Pie recipe, SUCCESS! hehe, love it!..Thank you for sharing :)

Hi Lyn! I’m happy to hear about your egg pie success! Cheers! :)

10. Rose says:

Hi munckinmommy! Just wanna ask kung ano milk ang dapat gamitin. I used fresh milk but the taste didn’t turned out what I expected it to be.

Hi Rose! I believe I used fresh milk, but some of the recipes I’ve seen use evaporated milk. Try using evaporated milk next time and see if the taste comes out as you expected. :) Thanks for dropping by!