Green Tea

Much as I love coffee, and I really really do love coffee, I’ve been drinking more tea -green tea- for over two months now. I started with inexpensive teabags but I have since moved on to the better and far more superior option, loose tea.

During a visit to a Japanese grocery some weeks ago, hubby convinced me to buy loose tea and a strainer for steeping the leaves. He actually wanted me to buy a teapot that already has a strainer insert but I held off buying and just settled for a strainer. Last week, I decided I was ready for a nice teapot and new green tea flavors. I found everything I needed at Wholefoods Market.

I love that I didn’t have to limit myself to just one type/flavor of tea since at WholeFoods, I can by tea by the ounce.  I felt like a little kid in a candy store as there was just so many flavors to choose from!  I got myself 3 kinds of tea: Organic Green Tea Mint, Maghreb Mint and Sencha Superior.

Some of you might not be very familiar with Maghreb and Sencha like I was a week ago.  So here’s a bit of info about the two…

Sencha is “the first and second flush of green tea, which is the most common green tea in Japan made from leaves that are exposed directly to sunlight”.

Maghreb Mint, according to the manufacturer, Rishi Tea,  “is exotic with a full-bodied sweetness, bold mint flavor and zesty notes of cardamom, ginger and spices. Maghreb Mint can be infused like tea or boiled North African style with sugar, water and/or prepared with milk like Indian Masala Chai. Made strong and sweetened, this blend soothes the sinuses and throat.”

I haven’t tried the Sencha tea yet but the Organic Green Tea  Mint and  Maghreb Mint became my instant favorites.  I used to be uanble to drink tea without sugar.  Now, I very well can…hot or cold!

We keep the green tea in the same cupboard where we keep Hubby’s coffee beans.  Yesterday, he made a joke about how the aroma of green tea mint now overpowers the nice aroma of his coffee beans.  Hee hee.

If I am able to convince you to drink and actually like green tea, I might consider a career in insurance marketing. Well, maybe not.  For green tea’s health benefits, click HERE.

Comments

12 Responses to “Green Tea”

1. really interesting. I like green tea :)
    .-= snooky doodle´s last blog ..La ‘Sbrisoletta’ – Apple cake with a twist =-.

Hi Snooky Doodle! Thanks for dropping by! :)

2. Amy B. says:

i love green tea as much as i love coffee. My favorite would be the green tea mint, especially when my throat’s a little bit stressed and needs something soothing.. green tea mint’s always the best fix for me :)
    .-= Amy B.´s last blog ..Easy Low Fat Chicken =-.

Hi Amy! I am specially fond of mint-flavored teas as well. And I consider coffee to be my first love. Hee hee. :D

3. Debbie V. says:

Cute cups! Nice A Japanese friend gifted me with one of those little teapots with the built-in strainer and some Sencha green tea from Japan. I think this type teapot and loose tea is the only way to go .
    At first the green tea tasted “grassy” to me, but in time I found it refreshing and soothing. I found there are also rules about not getting the water too hot and also not leaving the leaves in too long. Although I normally drink hot tea with sugar, this tea seemed better without.

Hi Debbie! Yes, you’re right. Each type of tea leaves have different recommended steep time and water temperature. But to tell you honestly, it’s something I don’t get to follow strictly. I’m too lazy to test for temperature. Hee hee. I just might start a teapot collection, but I’m afraid it might get too costly. Ha! :) I used to drink tea with a cube of sugar and little bit of milk, but now I keep it as it is, sugar and milk free. :)

4. JMom says:

I have cut down on my coffee drinking at work and switched to green tea. I love it and it actually makes me feel lighter and more rejuvenated than coffee! I think it’s helping me from putting on more weight too.
    .-= JMom´s last blog ..Wheat Spaghetti with Turnip Greens =-.

Hi JMom! I’m glad I made the switch to green tea. It’s got a lot of health benefits, too! :)

5. ing says:

Heylow…

Just wanna let you know you inspire me through your blog and here’s something for you… a Beautiful Blogger Award.

Here’s the link:

Ingat

Hi Ing! Thanks so much for this award! That’s so sweet and thoughtful of you. Cheers!

weng, pointers naman! we’re both green tea drinkers ni jong but we cant stand lipton green tea’s taste. gusto ko yung malalasahan ko yung leaves but we don’t know where to start and san makakabili ng loose leaves. any info is appreciated!

muwah!

Hi Abs! Sorry for the slight delay. :D I bought my loose tea leaves at Wholefoods so you might want to try your neighborhood organic supermarket. Rishi is the brand of the tea leaves and I tell you, you will taste the difference between the loose tea leaves and the teabags. :) There’s no going back to teabags! Haha! Dondi’s first comment after his first sip of the freshly steeped tea leaves was, “Reminds me of afternoon tea at the Peninsula Manila.” ;) *muah*