Sesame Street-Themed Cake

“Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?”

That’s the song I’ve been singing in my  head (and out loud!) last Satruday and Sunday.  And in case you’re wondering, yes, I made it to Sesame Street.   I just might reward myself with one of those Branson vacations. Hee hee.  I find that having some sort of song helps me get into and stay in  “the zone” when I’m decorating a cake. Go figure!

This cake is for the 2nd birthday of, you might have already guessed, Kassy. :)  It’s been more than 2 months since I last baked a cake…since I last worked my stand mixer for all it’s got.  Last weekend, I worked my stand mixer like a horse.  It was almost abusive, I tell you! :)

I can’t say this cake was my best work, but it sure was made with lots of love.  My work was really half done, thanks to the cake toppers that helped make the cake come alive.

The cake I drew on paper was a tad more elaborate.  But the baby pound cakes, all 30-something of them and all individually frosted and decorated, took a bit of time to make, so much so that I didn’t start covering the birthday cake with fondant until it was after 1pm.  The party was at 3pm.

The cake, by the way, is Hershey’s Chocolate Cake filled with Swiss Meringue Buttercream and Chocolate Chips.  I must say, Swiss Meringue will be gracing my cakes from hereon.  It is just soooooo good.  Butter love!  So, buh-bye Wilton buttercream!

I couldn’t get the colors right for the Elmo and Cookie Monster baby pound cakes. Elmo came out pink and Cookie Monster was too much a light shade of blue.  But my daughter recognized them, anyway, so I thought they’ll be fine.  The birthday girl recognized them, too!  That’s what mattered most.

If I had more time, I would have added a bit of texture to Elmo and Cookie Monster like I did to these two cupcakes I kept for my daughter…

“Me want coooookieeeeee! Nom, nom, nom, nom!” That’s a real piece of cookie there. ;)

“Lalalala, lalalala, Elmo’s World!” Elmo, wide-eyed as always.  Hee hee hee.

I had fun making this cake and the cupcakes.  These brought me back to my 3rd birthday, when I had Sesame Street-themed birthday cake.  Fondant was unheard of back then. :P

Cheers y’all!

Comments

11 Responses to “Sesame Street-Themed Cake”

1. G says:

hi weng, dumadaan lang—you’ve mastered this art well! Keep it up!

Hi G! How are you?! I hope all is well. Thanks for dropping by! :)

2. Brian Asis says:

Hahaha :D I just love the cookie monster cupcake
    .-= Brian Asis´s last blog ..Black Saturday Review: Joey Pepperoni & Banapple =-.

I love how the Cookie Monster cupcake turned out, too. If only I got the color right. :) Haha!

3. Jean says:

You’re amazing and so are your creations! Keep up the good work! By the way, I would like to invite you to join and have your say about food and anything on this new Food Forum. You can even win the cash prize for the most number of referrals.See you there! Thanks.

4. Joy says:

The cupcakes are adorable. I love them.
    .-= Joy´s last blog ..Custard Cake =-.

Thanks, Joy! I just wish I had the time to add texture to the party cupcakes. :)

5. Marla says:

I love the cupcakes!! Did you make the the eyes and letters with fondant? Did you use fondant cutters/cookie cutters? Sorry for all the questions, but I’m newbie to cake decorating. :) I love all your cakes!
    .-= Marla´s last blog ..Late Mother’s Day Card Post – Create A Critter =-.

Hi Marla! You don’t have to apologize for all the questions! I don’t mind them at all. :) Yes, the eyes and letters are fondant. I used the wide circular end of one of my piping tips for the eyes (tip #5, I believe). For the letters, I used the Funky Alphabet set, which I got as a present from one of my dear friends. :)

Thank you so much for dropping by and good luck on your cake decorating adventures! Practice, practice, practice! That’s what I always tell myself. :) Cheers!

6. Marie says:

they are so cute and colorful

7. […] the second time I made a birthday cake for this particular birthday girl.    Last year, I made a Sesame Street-themed birthday cake for her.  I cringe now when I see that cake. *cringe*  Admittedly, it wasn’t my proudest […]