Homemade Skinless Turkey Longanisa

Since I learned and succeeded in making my own skinless longanisa (Filipino-style sausage) in November 2008, I’ve never bought a single pack of frozen cured and preservative-filled longanisa again.  Yesterday, Hubby casually mentioned that it’s been a while since we had longanisa.  I took that as my cue to make some for dinner.  I gave my daughter a chance to vote, too, and asked her if she wanted siomai/dumplings or longanisa for dinner.  She chose the latter.  So last night, by unanimous decision, I cooked longanisa for dinner. ;)

I cooked these in a pan coated with cooking spray.  I did not use any extra oil.

I still get giddy whenever the longanisa logs start to caramelize and turn into nice and sticky brown logs just screaming to be, uhm, rolled and practically rubbed on steamed rice.  Hubby and 5-year old daughter started to get impatient when the aroma of cooking longanisa filled the air. Hmmmm. *inhales*

I served the longanisa on a bed of sliced cucumbers, my daughter’s favorite.  Hubby and I had sliced fresh tomatoes to go with our longanisa, while my daughter preferred to have vinegar with a sprinkling of sea salt for her dipping sauce.

The recipe I used is exactly the same as the one I previously posted HERE except that I used ground turkey this time.  I will be using ground turkey or chicken to make longanisa from hereon.  Here’s the recipe…

INGREDIENTS:

2 lbs ground turkey
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp fresh cracked peppercorn
4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
2 Tbsp liquid (Knorr) seasoning

DIRECTIONS:

1. Mix everything  in a large bowl.
2. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes and allow the flavors to blend. Form into logs or patties.
3. Cook in a non-stick frying pan that has been coated with cooking spray.
4. Serve with garlic fried rice or steamed rice or hot buns.

If you want spicy longanisa, add a tablespoon of hot sauce to your ground turkey mixture.  This recipe will yield approximately 20 longanisa logs, each made with 2 tablespoons of ground meat.  Be forewarned, too, that the logs will most probably shrink to a smaller size during cooking. :)

A few people have already tried this recipe, most of whom were successful in their longanisa venture, while 2 complained that their longanisa were salty.  Please take note that I used sea salt. I haven’t used iodized salt in over two years.  If you’re using iodized salt, you might want to use less salt in your mixture, just to be sure.

Have a great weekend, y’all!  TGIF!

PS.  The photos were taken with an I-Phone. :)

Comments

18 Responses to “Homemade Skinless Turkey Longanisa”

1. Joy says:

That is great. I actually learned about skinless longanisa from your blog. I started making my own. My husband even got me a meat grinder so we could use pork shoulder.
    .-= Joy´s last blog ..Custard Cake =-.

Hi Joy! Homemade is better, don’t you think?! Lucky you! You have your own meat grinder! I want one, too, but since we now eat very little red meat (pork, beef), it’s been moved to the end of my wish list. :D Hee hee.

2. shasha says:

thanks so much for this recipe! looking forward trying this
    now next thing in mind to try is how to make your lovely cakes…. :) what kind of base do you use for fondant?

Hi Shasha! The cakes I use for fondant are baked from scratch and then frosted with a thin layer of buttercream. :)

3. Camille says:

Thanks for posting this Weng!! Nai-print ko kaagad para ma-try :) Mukhang super sarap ‘to!!

You’re welcome, Camille! So, have you finally given this recipe a try? :D

4. [...] Homemade Skinless Turkey Longanisa [...]

5. Tee says:

Thanks so much for the recipe! I made this today using pork and chicken. Just wondering why my longanisas are not as dark as yours.. Did you add soy sauce or something? Thank you! =)

Hi Tee! I only used the ingredients listed in the recipe. It’s the worcestershire sauce and brown sugar that cause the browning/darkening of the longanisas. :) I hope you and your family enjoyed the longanisa! :)

Thanks for dropping by. :)

6. adel says:

Thanks a million for this recipe. Napaikasarap salamat.

7. Adin says:

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. I love longanisa and the thought of making it your own is a great thing for me. We love turkey and so when I found out this recipe, I printed it out because I can’t wait to try it. My boys will surely love it! :) Yummy!
    Adin´s last blog post ..Florida Family Vacation 2010

8. Adin says:

Thanks for sharing this again! My goodness, I was so craving for longanisa that I went ahead and made the beef version. It was still delicious! :) Yummy!
    Adin´s last blog post ..Mommy and Me Monday- Florida Day!

Thanks, Adin! Glad you liked it. Beef longanisa…that sounds very new to me. Hee hee. :)

9. Chrissy says:

wow, kalami ani day adin! would like to follow your recipe if you don’t mind…thank you :)
    Chrissy´s last blog post ..Turkey Balls Bola-bola

10. Camille says:

Thanks again for this! Had to re-print bec I’m making tonight, but using pork giniling instead of turkey nyahahaha …bring on the fat:)

You’re welcome, Camille! The other day, naisip kong it’s been a while since I made longganisa. Balitaan mo ako kung successful ang longganisa mo ha. :D

11. Lucylulu says:

I also make my own home made longanisa using ground turkey or chicken then adding Mama Sita’s tocino or longanisa mix, garlic and pepper.

I’ll try your recipe next time. Thanks for sharing.

12. Camille says:

Thanks again for this post! We have longganiza on our menu this week and I am here at your site for a much needed review of the recipe :) We are going to use pork giniling hihihi