I’m giddy with excitement (yet again!)! This week, the spotlight’s on Cafe Munchkin in the Family Bites section of FoodBuzz. *wink* Every week, Family Bites, which is presented by Newman’s Own, showcases a collection of 9 convenient recipes, which are family friendly. From June 28th to July 4th, the featured recipes and photos are from this humble blog. I want to burst into giggles every time I think about it. It’s no big deal to most people, but to me, it is. ;)
I used a Newman’s Own product in 3 out of the 9 recipes. These are samples I received as part of the Family Bites program. One of the easy yet yummy recipes I came up with is Baked Tuna Macaroni Alfredo Verde…
Here’s the recipe:
2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 can albacore tuna, drained
1 jar Newman’s Own Alfredo Pasta sauce
1 ½ cups spinach, finely chopped
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
salt and pepper
½ whole wheat bread crumbs (optional)
1. Cook the pasta according to package instructions. While the pasta is cooking, preheat oven to 350F and start working on the sauce.
2. In a sauté pan, add canola oil and sauté onions until translucent. Add tuna.
3. Add Newman’s Own Alfredo Pasta Sauce and simmer for a minute or two then add the spinach. Continue to stir for another minute.
4. Remove from heat then add ½ cup of the parmesan cheese and salt & pepper to taste. Stir well.
5. Add the cooked whole wheat pasta to the sauce. Mix well.
6. Transfer the macaroni and sauce mixture into a square baking dish. Top with the rest of the parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.
My 5-year old daughter absolutely loves this dish. It is a much healthier alternative to Mac and Cheese. The sauce is all natural. It has tuna and spinach. And you can add mushrooms, too! If you’re in too much of a hurry, you can even skip the baking part.
Thank you, FoodBuzz! Thank you, Newman’s Own!
Cheers y’all and have a great week ahead! I know I will! :D