Homemade Steamed Fish Paste Cake (Kamaboko)

I’m so excited to share this recipe for Steamed Fish Paste Cake (Kamaboko in Japanese).  Slices of fish paste cake are often found in Asian seafood noodle dishes (soups and stir-fries) and casseroles.  You can buy it frozen at Asian groceries but you can almost be sure that it will have MSG.  That’s why I can’t bring myself to buy them.  I was leafing through my Japanese recipe book and discovered I have the recipe for the fish cake all along!  Major eureka moment for me!  The best part is, it is so easy to make and is actually a 5-ingredient fix. ;)  You won’t have any need for Insinkerator disposals!

I have to say, it’s going to taste a heck of a lot different from frozen ones, which are really more flour than fish.  This is fish and will taste like fish. ;)  It’s been a while since I posted a photo tutorial for a recipe as it is quite hard to be photographer and  home chef at the same time.  Hee hee.  I’m happy to have come up with a photo tutorial for this one with a little help from Hubby. ;)

INGREDIENTS:

18 oz (500g) white fish fillets, skinned
1 egg
1/2 T ginger juice
2-3 T cornstarch
salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Grind the fish fillets in a food processor.  Add egg, ginger juice, cornstarch and salt.  Mix well.

2.  Divide into halves.

3.  Brush 2 12″ x 10″ sheets of aluminum foil with oil.

4.  Shape kamaboko paste into logs approximately 4.5″ in length and 2″ in diameter. (By all means, shape it into the length and diameter that you fancy!) Roll up and seal both ends.  Steam for 30 minutes over high heat.  Test for doneness by inserting a skewer into the center of the log.  If it comes out clean, then it’s done!

5.  Slice into 1/2″ rounds or thinner.

You might want to try what I did, which was to brown the logs in a pan coated with oil before slicing.

Next time, instead of forming the fish paste mixture into logs, I’ll form them into balls.  I just might do that tomorrow! ;)

Cheers, y’all!

Comments

13 Responses to “Homemade Steamed Fish Paste Cake (Kamaboko)”

1. shasha says:

looks so good will try it one of these days! thanks so much! :)

Hi Shasha! Thank you and you’re welcome! :)

2. JMom says:

Awesome, Weng! I didn’t think this could be done at home. lol! But I guess anything can be made at home when you have the will. What kind of white fish did you use? I may experiment with this next time I get a tray of tilapia from Costco, but I’m wondering if the texture will be hardy enough?

Hi JMom! I was very happy with this because Abby loves fish cakes. :) I used tilapia fillets and I think they came out nicely. Have a great long weekend! :)

3. […] Homemade Steamed Fish Paste Cake (Kamaboko) […]

4. Joy says:

I love this recipe. I never throught of making homemade fish cakes.

Hi Joy! It’s not going to come out as smooth as the frozen mass-produced ones but at least, we can be sure it’s real fish in it and preservative free. Yeah! :)

5. Erin says:

Do you think I could make these the day before, put them in the fridge, and reheat?

Hi Erin! Yes, you can very well do that! :) Thanks for dropping by!

6. Carol says:

HI, I just want to say thank you times 100 for posting this.
    I went on a massive hunt for a recipe for the delicious Kamaboko I used to eat in Japan last night.
    Finally, I found a recipe which seemed kind of close. I added it to my recipe book but at the end of putting all the ingredients together, she said, “Now fry the mixture…….” I thought, “Kamaboko is so light and delicate. How could it possibly be fried?. I thought. Oh, well, maybe I don’t know anything maybe you do fry Kamaboko. Then thank God I found your recipe. My first hint that the other recipe was crap….when I went back to look at it, she had spelled Kamaboko as kameboko. I should have known it was just somebody trying to pass off their own concoction as Kamaboko. Well, thank you. Yours (Steamed) Seems closer to the truth. Thank you for posting this. Be blessed.

7. Taunya says:

Oh so happy to find your recipe (and website). Going to make this recipe (in ball form) out of Alaskan Sablefish (absolutely yummy). I had been googling for a while and was running out of hope. Thanks and Happy Cooking! :)

8. Aquaria says:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

The DH has recently developed a sensitivity to sodium, so I try to cut back on it where I can. I’d been buying the pre-made stuff at my fave Japanese market, but had to stop using it at all, and my husband hated having to choose kamaboko or soy.

Now he can have both once more. I just texted him that I found this recipe (the others looked awful, as Carol pointed out), and he says he’s dancing with joy.

Domo arigatou!

9. Kelley says:

Hi there! I’m so glad I found this recipe thank you for posting it! Silly question but how exactly do you steam this?