Ice Skates Cake

I made 2 cakes for the September 25th back-to-back party of two sweet girls.  The 8-year old girl wanted an ice skating-themed cake while her 10-year old sister, who is an excellent swimmer, wanted a swimming-themed cake.  For this entry, the ice skating-themed cake takes center stage…

The next best thing to a 3D cake topper is a 2D topper with 3D elements. *wink*  The ice skates were made from gumpaste two days in advance, except for the laces.  I laced-up the skates on the morning of the party.

While the ice skates were not 3D, the blades and the laces provided a 3D feel to them.  And I’m very pleased with how the gumpaste ice skates turned out.

It’s amazing what pearl dust and cake sparkles can do to liven up a cake’s decorative elements.  They’re my new best friends. Hee hee.

The cake is a 10-inch round, 4-inch high Vanilla Chiffon with Italian Meringue Vanilla Buttercream Filling, the birthday girl’s request.

Sweet and simple.  This cake was a joy to make.  That much I can tell you.

I’ve somehow gotten used to decorating two cakes for one weekend.  I still need to work on my time management skills though so I can avoid being sleep deprived on cake decorating weekends. Otherwise, I’ll constantly be in search of the best acne treatments. *sigh*

Mabuhay, y’all!

Comments

8 Responses to “Ice Skates Cake”

1. Twinkie says:

Very elegantly made! If I were the birthday girl, I’ll have a huge problem discerning whether to eat it or not. :D

Hi Twinkie! Aww, cakes are made to be eaten. I like watching people cut the cakes I made. The birthday girl did keep the ice skates. ;)

2. Keith says:

Love the effect of the laces too!

Thanks, Keith! :) I take it you like sparkly things, too? Just teasing! Hee hee. :)

3. Michele says:

I love your cake. I really admire Mom;s who can make and decorate cakes for their children and friends.

I have always made my girls birthday cakes. I do my best since I have no training.

Would you be willing to share your cake and frosting recipes with me. My daughter ice skates (Beginner) and she will be 12 soon. Your cake and frosting sound delicious and something she would enjoy.

Thank you. Michele

4. Heiddis says:

Hi, I was wondering how can you make the ice skates so they can stand on the cake?

Hi Heiddis! Sorry to reply so late. I used lollipop sticks for the skate on top of the cake. I sandwiched the Popsicle sticks between the skate and a piece of fondant that I have cut out with a round cutter.

Again, my apologies for the late reply! Thanks!