I know that it’s in my best interest (and yours, too!) to avoid eating deep fried food. But they’re just too darned good! And you know I’m right!
I made calamari (again!) not too long ago. I learned during a happy hour date with a friend that in that restaurant we went to, the calamari is made spicy by (shichimi) togarashi, a common Japanese spice mixture, which I happen to have in my pantry. So I made sure I made a good sprinkling of the spice on my calamari…
For good measure, I sprinkled a teeny tiny bit of cayenne pepper as well. Yum! I did make sure I set aside some non-spicy calamari for my daughter.
I used the same recipe for the Ika Tempura I posted not too long ago, which you can find HERE. Just the same, I’m re-posting the recipe…
1 1/2 cups iced water
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1. Break eggs into a well-chilled bowl then add iced water.
2. Add sifted flour.
3. Make lumpy batter. DO NOT MIX WELL. Loosely fold with chopsticks. Batter should be a mixture of dry flour.
4. Pat the squid dry. Coat with lumpy batter then slide into hot oil and deep-fry until golden brown, turning once or twice for even cooking.
5. Drain excess oil on paper-lined plate or tray after deep frying.
6. Sprinkle togarashi, salt and pepper to taste.
Calamari goodness I tell yah! I promise to keep my intake of fried food in moderation…and you should make that same promise as well! Hee hee. I’m just happy it’s not true that greasy food can cause acne. So don’t you worry about acne treatments while enjoying your calamari. It’s an entirely different healthy condition we should be worrying about. Did I just burst my own gastronomic bubble? Oh well.
Cheers, y’all! Remember, everything in moderation. *wink*