Pilipinas Food Trip #2: Taho

And who should we bump into as we stepped out of our hotel on our 2nd day in Boracay for a date with the sun, the sea and the sand?  The magtataho vendor, that’s who!!!  Never mind if we just had a hearty breakfast.  We had to have some taho!  I didn’t want to risk missing the opportunity to have taho the way I had it as a child…fresh from the buckets of a vendor.  Hee hee. *wink*

Taho, if you should consult Wikipedia, ” is a Philippine snack food made of fresh soft/silken tofu, arnibal (brown sugar and vanilla syrup), and pearl sago (similar to pearl tapioca).”

Meet Mr. Taho Vendor…

First, he scoops some of the silken tofu into a cup…

Then, tapioca pearls and caramel are added to the silken tofu.

I easily forgot that a cup of taho was worth Php 25.00.  It wasn’t as easy, however, forgetting bikini-clad girls and shirtless boys who didn’t seem to get rid of chest acne.  Hee hee.  Anyway, my daughter loved her taho and wanted to have some again the very next day.  But we had to pass. :)

That’s another comfort food just ticked-off my “must eat” list. ;)

Mabuhay!

Comments

6 Responses to “Pilipinas Food Trip #2: Taho”

1. Camille says:

mmmm mukhang masarap! penge naman… iba yung gawa dito sa gawa dyan e :)

Hope you are all having fun! ang ganda talaga ng boracay.. haaayyy….

Happy New Year, Camille! Mukha lang siyang masarap. Medyo anemic dahil matabang. Mas masarap yung taho dito sa neighborhood ng brother ko. ;) We had so much fun in Boracay and every place we visited. Hihirit pa kami ulit this weekend. Our warmest regards to you all! *muah*

buti malaki-laki ang baso hehehe! yum!

3. Jigi says:

yep, we did that too when we were in Boracay last May 2010 and for someone living overseas, its an indulgence that local people take for granted … my then 11mos bub enjoyed it so much that she finished the Php5.00 cup manong gave us… I sort of replicated this two years ago when I was pregnant and craving for taho … easy but nothing beats the vendor taho i tell you

4. ApplesH says:

I love taho. Even with all the commercialized and multi-flavored ones that are sold in malls, I still love the one sold by the walking (or cycling) magtataho vendor.

Hi ApplesH! As a little girl, I eagerly awaited the magtataho every Sunday morning. During our family vacation in the Philippines over the holidays, it was nice seeing my daughter doing the same thing, eagerly waiting for the magtataho. She got very excited every time she heard his voice, announcing his arrival on our street. Hee hee. We had taho almost everyday! It was just wonderful!